Server Crashes once a day

JakeByr

JakeByr

Would someone be able to take a look at these logs for? I've been really thrashing through setting up emby server in my home environment for a few weeks now and haven't had much luck. My problem was first with Samba and getting my media to play over SMB. I've since scrapped this and stuck with play over HTTP because SMB is just too buggy for me.

Before I get to ahead of myself: Server is installed on Nas4Free inside a jail (FreeBSD) and I am streaming my content to a windows PC through XMBC.

When the server is up and running it's great and works as needed. I've used the Android app and this works very well both inside and outside my network. The problem is the server crashes once a day. I hate coming back to watch something and the server has crashed. I've had plex installed on my nas alongside this and it has yet to crash in all the months I've used it. I don't know much about reading the logs to trace it down. From my reading online and in the forums I'm leaning towards a crash in Mono or out of memory error due to the large size of my media collection (Almost 4tb of movies, tv shows and music). My install currently is completely fresh, no plugins installed and just the media added. Wanted to make sure I could cancel out a bad plugin. 

If anyone can point me into the right direction to track this down I'd be very greatful. I'm at the mercy of ports when installing/updating packages on FBSD. Haven't quite figured out how to build from source yet. 

Logs.zip

try turning off the realtime library monitor. there are some errors in there that appear to be thrown in a way we might not be able to catch and handle.

JakeByr

Will do. I will report back after a few days and see if it's still running. Sadly to say though if it isn't Emby server crashing it's XMBC for me. Must have bad luck as I've had to uninstall it and start over tonight. 

JakeByr

SO far so good with the current version of the server I am running. Just waiting on ports to update to upgrade to the newest version which will hopefully fix the emby connect portion that wont let me link my account to my server. 

josh4trunks

SO far so good with the current version of the server I am running. Just waiting on ports to update to upgrade to the newest version which will hopefully fix the emby connect portion that wont let me link my account to my server.

latest emby has been committed to ports so if you're building from there, there's no reason to wait

PhilWhite

Perhaps I need to do something different, but emby.media suggests adding the update through the FreeNAS web interface.  I only see my current version of the plugin there -- 3.0.5621.4.  Will it simply take a while for the update (3.0.5641.4) to show up?  Refreshing the list of plugins doesn't help.  Should I look in a different repository?

ETA:  Never mind, google is my friend.  Think I'll wait for a stable release to show.

Edited by PhilWhite

JakeByr

Just finished updating my ports and server to the newest update. One thing I really like about Nas4Free is just ssh in and run pkg update && pkg upgrade and bam! all set once the ports are updated. Finally my server will connect to emby which links it to my username. It's been running for four days straight now and no crashes. Looks like I might have found a good reason to migrate my HTPC to XBMC and stay there. :)

josh4trunks

Perhaps I need to do something different, but emby.media suggests adding the update through the FreeNAS web interface.  I only see my current version of the plugin there -- 3.0.5621.4.  Will it simply take a while for the update (3.0.5641.4) to show up?  Refreshing the list of plugins doesn't help.  Should I look in a different repository?

ETA:  Never mind, google is my friend.  Think I'll wait for a stable release to show.

I got the latest version built but am trying to debug something before I push it out. See the link..

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/22290-the-authentication-or-decryption-has-failed-v-3056214/

PhilWhite

Thank you.  I'm looking forward to the upgrade since I had to redo everything last weekend and have not been able to sign into Connect since then.  Not a big deal since I don't travel much.  I mostly wanted it for my youngest when she goes back to college in the fall.

I just want to take the opportunity to say Thank You for all the work that you and the rest of the development team put into this project.  I've wanted to centralize everything on a single server and only use extenders for some time, and I tried Plex for a short while.  Plex is fine, but it has its shortcomings (no live TV offering chief among them).  I really appreciate the Emby server plugin for FreeNas especially in combination with Emby for Kodi and Emby TV as a DVR.  Now I have one central server that connects with all my extenders (Fire TVs right now); and I still get to use all the 'pretties' that Kodi has to offer.  I've even disconnected all the OpenElec boxes I built a few years ago.

I knew about Mediabrowser from a few years ago.  You guys have really moved things along in a very good way.  I was contemplating a lifetime pass for Plex but decided to research the options before committing money, which is how I happened back on the Emby trail.  So I gave you guys my money instead.

Count me one very happy camper.

PhilWhite

Thanks for the update Josh.  For some reason I couldn't complete the update and had to remove the old version of Emby and replace it with the new one, but I'm back on Connect and all is right with the world.  Great Father's Day present.

josh4trunks

Thanks for the update Josh.  For some reason I couldn't complete the update and had to remove the old version of Emby and replace it with the new one, but I'm back on Connect and all is right with the world.  Great Father's Day present.

The PBI update mechanism can be very finicky. Usually works for me, but it has not worked for me in the past as well.

If you ever are in a situation where you need to reinstall, just backup your /var/db/emby-server folder. Once you restore it and start Emby, everything should be how it was.

Glad it's working well for you.

PhilWhite

The PBI update mechanism can be very finicky. Usually works for me, but it has not worked for me in the past as well.

If you ever are in a situation where you need to reinstall, just backup your /var/db/emby-server folder. Once you restore it and start Emby, everything should be how it was.

Glad it's working well for you.

Excellent, thank you.  I was just thinking that I should ask how to do that but you beat me to the punch.  That will make the next transition, if I need to destroy the old server much easier.