External SD sync not working

ryvanzandt

ryvanzandt

Issue being discussed in Alpha forum.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edited by ryvanzandt

I think Luke has acknowledge that this will be possible soon.... (Hopefully before I go on a Roadtrip in August) :-)

There will be an update tonight that will resolve this. Once you have it you'll need to reconfigure the custom sync path. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi Luke,

Do you mean App Settings then change the synced content path to my external card or is there more to it than that as everything is stuck on transferring now?

Cheers

This was actually Android Lollipop preventing write access to my SDCard! (Thanks Android!) I have now rooted my device and given permission for the SDCard to be written to and all working as expected! Thanks Luke 

cwarren.qc

I just tried to sync to the SDCard of my tablet (Samsung 8.4S). 

I don't know if it's like that on every android devices but, from what I understand, the OS only allow Emby to write to the folder "Android/data/com.mb.android" of the SD card. So, I created a folder 'Sync' under that folder. I had to use the OS file manager to create the folder because emby only allowed me to create a folder named "New Folder" (or maybe I didn't understand how to change the name of the folder to be created).

After that, everything worked perfectly. No need to root my device in my case. I also noticed that I'm able to sync big file (> 2G) without problem. When I used an external USB drive to transfer files, I had to split the file because the USB drive didn't support file larger then 2G.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome feature, Luke. In a roundabout way, it fix a lot of littles annoyances I had with the application (i.e. transcoding when using external viewer, need to 'merge' subtitle file into the mkv if I wanted to direct play, etc).

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

...the OS only allow Emby to write to the folder "Android/data/com.mb.android" of the SD card...

Thank you so much! I also had the issue with stalled sync jobs and after research realised it wasn't possible to write to the SD card folder I had selected. Creating a sync folder in the above location sorted it. This should be a sticky or added to docs somewhere.

ginjaninja

omg been looking to use my external sd for ages....thanks for tip...

until emby offline sync playback is working..a good workaround is to use es file explorer to create a shortcut to extsd\androoid\data\com.mb.mb.android\servername for easy access to your sync content...

just highlight the folder in es file explorer and choose command 'Add to Desktop'.

I thought one of the big features of the latest android is that it wasnt necessary to root the device to write to any folder on ext sdcard...i guess not...

Edited by ginjaninja

• 4 weeks later...

I just tried to sync to the SDCard of my tablet (Samsung 8.4S). 

I don't know if it's like that on every android devices but, from what I understand, the OS only allow Emby to write to the folder "Android/data/com.mb.android" of the SD card. So, I created a folder 'Sync' under that folder. I had to use the OS file manager to create the folder because emby only allowed me to create a folder named "New Folder" (or maybe I didn't understand how to change the name of the folder to be created).

After that, everything worked perfectly. No need to root my device in my case. I also noticed that I'm able to sync big file (> 2G) without problem. When I used an external USB drive to transfer files, I had to split the file because the USB drive didn't support file larger then 2G.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome feature, Luke. In a roundabout way, it fix a lot of littles annoyances I had with the application (i.e. transcoding when using external viewer, need to 'merge' subtitle file into the mkv if I wanted to direct play, etc).

Can you explain this to me like I am a three year old?  I'd love to sync to my sd card but don't really understand how you did this.  I have the same tablet.....thanks.

• 9 months later...
bradford

I don't care to resurrect this thread, but I think it is worth noting that I didn't need to do anything special regarding making a folder on the sd card. I'm using a LG G Pad (Android 6.0.1) and sync works well to a folder on the root of the SD card.

nwcatalyst

Latest beta is allowing me to sync to external sd flawlessly. I did originally create the folder using my linux machine while the phone was mounted as external storage, so not sure if the app can create the folder correctly or not. I'm using Xperia z3c rooted. Cheers.

• 6 months later...