Manually configure transcoding settings for ffmpeg/x264

manfromafar

manfromafar

I was wondering if there is anyway to build a custom profile that allows a user to set their own enocding settings for ffmpeg/x264?

Since I'm not to happy with plex using the Fast preset and I haven't dug into emby's encoding profiles enough to know what its using I would like to be able to specify my own settings.

at the moment you can't but can you give examples of what parameters you'd want to be able to configure?

manfromafar

The biggest thing that I was looking for was -preset since that encompasses most of the needed settings but for granular settings -me -subme --threads. If its not already implemeted have the encoder check against all macroblocks. This doesnt need to be surfaced as it should alwasy check al possible sizes.

But there a "billions" settings that I would like but generally the preset option would be the biggest that why you could at least guess the end quality at any given bitrate.

question - if we are specifying -profile baseline...isn't it then not possible to override many of the libx264 settings? I thought I had read that somewhere.

Anyway, tell you what. I can add this for you, if you can do something for us, which is analyze our defaults and offer opinions on any adjustments...keeping in mind that for defaults the general population is mostly interested in the right combination of performance & quality (with most tilting towards performance as being slightly more important).

Latchmor

...isn't it then not possible to override many of the libx264 settings? I thought I had read that somewhere.

In my limited testing (trying to use libnvenc for converting) I discovered you could use

-x264opts setting=value:setting=value: etc etc

to override but OP does sound like they'll know all about it ;-)

Edited by Latchmor

manfromafar

True Luke I know I'm an outlier for settings. I beleive that to the generally public who download video files around the 2gb mark wont notice any differences "mostly"  in the quality of the transcoded material.

I just like being able to mess with everything and since I have the cpu in the server I might as well use it. Even if there was an advanced button for the trancoder settings as to what settings they were actually using that would help a lot.

True Latchmor I should be able to override the settings that are feed to the trasncoder I just do not know where the actual config files are stored that house the data.

I've tried looking through the transcoder logs in /var/db/emby-server/logs/ bu to no avail as it looks the settings were already implemented.