Wow! Choosing the proper IP for each machine changes everything.

chef

chef

The other day during a storm, my power went out.

When I reboot my machines, they had rotated their IP address in the sub net.

And what do you know... Streaming to my devices seemed to become flawless again.

So I did some research. It appears that, for some reason or another, having the right IP for for machine does make a different.

I read through a PC Mag which explained a bunch of "Interfearance mombo-jumbo".

It explained how to make your IP addresses static.

I followed the instructions, and now all my computers and home automation devices have their own static IP addresses.

Streaming is flawless from emby.

I am so happy!

• Like 1

CBers

For mobile devices, you should be able to just reserve them an IP address based on their MAC address on your router, still using DHCP.

If you assign a mobile device a static address, the chances are that they won't work correctly outside your home network.

• Like 1

chef

For mobile devices, you should be able to just reserve them an IP address based on their MAC address on your router, still using DHCP.

If you assign a mobile device a static address, the chances are that they won't work correctly outside your home network.

I hadn't thought about mobile devices. I will look into reserving IP addresses next.

Thank you.

JeremyFr79

Yeah I just run reserved for most things, obviously Servers, and infrastructure are static, but most everything else is reserved in DHCP, and the rest is just left as dynamic.  Never have any issues.

• Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

My Ethernet connected devices have static IP addresses from 10.0.0.1 through 10.0.0.99. Wireless connected devices are dynamic but usually is able to grab the same IP address over long periods of time. Works for me without too many problems. Televisions are connected by Ethernet via Rokus.

• Like 2

Cheesegeezer

Yeah, I just run all my pc's and devices on set(reserved) IP addresses with DHCP enabled still. Works fine for me  

• Like 3

Yeah, I just run all my pc's and devices on set(reserved) IP addresses with DHCP enabled still. Works fine for me  

Yes, DHCP server with reserved iP's for clients, the best way to go.

• Like 4

chef

I wonder about a tips and tricks section on the community tracker.

Some kind of thread which could pin links to simple home networking solutions from other sites, as well as some of our own threads where people have come across some interesting tips for emby.