Emby is absolutely amazing !!

ecrispy

ecrispy

And I now bring you for your reading pleasure - Redundant Obvious post of the day :)

Ok I've been using Emby for >1 year now and love it. The reason for this post is I just bought a new tv after 7 years, my new tv is a Sony Bravia HDTV with all kinds of fancy features that didn't exist before.

One of which is its ability to do 'auto power on' over the network, as well as its built in DLNA client. So let me describe to you my experience today -

In the Tv menu there's a 'connected devices' section which shows other devices found on network (let me just say builtin wifi is such a nice thing to have). It lists other HDMI inputs, my Chromecast, and this is the real wonder, it shows 'Emby Media Server' automatically !! Selecting this shows me a DLNA style interface with Tv, Movies etc, and I can drill down to each item - no fancy skins here but it works. And playing the files I was surprised there was no transcoding! I tried a normal avi with mp3 audio and also an mkv with AC3 audio.

After doing this I can then connect my web remote client to the tv of course. But it gets better.

I had to setup the tv to do HDMI CEC. Now with both tv and receiver off, all I have to do is open Emby Web in my browser on laptop, then select either the tv or Chromecast as playback device and play. This then turns on the tv and receiver to the right inputs!!

I never really expected all this to work so well :) I now no longer need any universal remote control etc. And later on I'm going to try the Emby Windows Metro app which I purchased a while ago.

Thanks to the entire team (and also to Sony). Very happy.

• Like 7

ecrispy

Some more things -

1. I'm trying to learn how all this magic works. I found the DLNA section under Emby, under there it seems the type of DLNA client is identified using its model number etc, and then the profile lists what the client is capable of doing, direct play vs transcoding, as well as lots of other settings I have yet to understand. Very cool !! I didn't see a profile for Chromecast so I don't know its capabilites (haven't tested yet).

2. I don't think I will be using Chromecast as much, since the Sony tv has apps for Netflix as well as Emby which I can control via the web. And the advantage vs chromecast is I can use the tv remote vs using the phone.

Thank you. It is great to read feedback such as this. It helps keep us going :)

• Like 2

jamvids

Is it an android sony TV, I bought a sony 32" smart TV earlier this year for the bedroom and am a little upset with the features, it doesn't natively play much either and DLNA is useless . I want a new one for the living room at Christmas and it has put me off Sony, but reading this has put the cat amongst the pigeons. What model do you have?

Is it an android sony TV

If it is, you can also install the Emby Android TV app on it :).

jamvids

Yeah, that's the idea, can't wait until crimbo. Giving up on having a PC operated system. At the moment using the Xbox one as a casting device but miss the pretty backdrops and such, is there a possibility of video backdrops in android?

ecrispy

Is it an android sony TV, I bought a sony 32" smart TV earlier this year for the bedroom and am a little upset with the features, it doesn't natively play much either and DLNA is useless . I want a new one for the living room at Christmas and it has put me off Sony, but reading this has put the cat amongst the pigeons. What model do you have?

It's not an Android tv, its one of Sony's Bravia tv's from 2014, model starts with KDL. Not home right now to lookup the exact model number.

Look in the Emby DLNA profile settings to see which one your Tv is matching, and the profile lists AFAIK what kinds of content it can play.

jamvids

Yeah, mine is a KDL model, I put the 2013 profile on and it still only played a few things. What do you mean by AFAIK?

ecrispy

Yeah, mine is a KDL model, I put the 2013 profile on and it still only played a few things. What do you mean by AFAIK?

I don't know enough to help you debug this, maybe there's a way to see this in debug logs, one of the Emby experts should be able to help you. What kind of files was it not able to play? Were you able to see the DLNA showing files/pictures?