Emby Server - DVD Order for Certain TV Shows

eskay993

eskay993

Hi

Apologies if this has been requested here. Couldn't find it here but I know there are other topics about it mentioning it's on the list, but that was from 2013 so just wanted to add it here :)

Would be great to add an option in Edit mode to set a TV Show to use DVD order instead or Air Date order. The workaround to rename files is not really viable as some shows would take far too long and others don't make sense in air date order (e.g. Firefly and Batman The Animated Series) which is why they changed it for DVD.

Thanks as always! With all the amazing progress Emby has done over the last 12-18 months, this is the final piece of the puzzle, for me anyway, to make it complete and almighty!

Cheers

Edit: Apologies, just noticed the note at the top of this section.. please pretend I added "Emby Server - " to the beginning of the subject title :P

Edited by eskay993
  • Like 10

CBers

Edit: Apologies, just noticed the note at the top of this section.. please pretend I added "Emby Server - " to the beginning of the subject title :P

Amended :)

• 11 months later...
Kramerika

Will there ever be an option for TV series to use the absolute or DVD order rather than the aired order?  As it is, I have to edit all of the episodes for Batman the Animated Series without having this option.  I see the absolute and DVD season/episode number is listed in the metadata for each episode, but outside of manually cutting and pasting that info to the season/episode number, I have no way of using it efficiently.

Edited by Kramerika

bfir3

I've had to do the same manual intervention for several series who have strange episode airing order. Would be nice to be able to specify sort method (Default/Absolute/DVD) in the metadata manager on a per-series basis.

Kramerika

I am actually having an issue related to the work-around for not being able to set the DVD order.  I am manually setting the season and episode numbers for those that are out of order.  The episode numbers are honored, but the season numbers are not.  They still show up in the original/aired season in the metadata manager.  This is after locking them down while saving the changes.  When I look at them in my library in Emby itself, they show up in both the aired season and the corrected DVD season.  For example for the New Adventures of Batman, there are two aired seasons.  However, the DVD has a single season.  When I change them all to season 1, season two does not go away.  It sticks in both the metadata manager and the library even though the season 2 episodes do show up in season 1 in the library and the episode numbers are all for the DVD season 1.  Is there something else that I need to do besides manually change the season number and episode number before locking them down?  The reason that I want to do this is because there are episodes that are out of chronological order in the aired order including 2-part episodes which makes no sense when you are watching them.

• Like 1

I am actually having an issue related to the work-around for not being able to set the DVD order.  I am manually setting the season and episode numbers for those that are out of order.  The episode numbers are honored, but the season numbers are not.  They still show up in the original/aired season in the metadata manager.  This is after locking them down while saving the changes.  When I look at them in my library in Emby itself, they show up in both the aired season and the corrected DVD season.  For example for the New Adventures of Batman, there are two aired seasons.  However, the DVD has a single season.  When I change them all to season 1, season two does not go away.  It sticks in both the metadata manager and the library even though the season 2 episodes do show up in season 1 in the library and the episode numbers are all for the DVD season 1.  Is there something else that I need to do besides manually change the season number and episode number before locking them down?  The reason that I want to do this is because there are episodes that are out of chronological order in the aired order including 2-part episodes which makes no sense when you are watching them.

If the episodes are in a Season 2 folder, then they will always show up with browsing Season 2, no matter what the numbers you have set. Lots of people have messy or bad metadata so we have to be able to handle that.

Kramerika

But if I put them in the proper season folders for the DVD order, they won't pull in the proper metadata from thetvdb.com, right?  It seems as though there is no way to accomplish what I want to do.

• 1 year later...

Bumping, basically.  Adding my 2c.

This is one of the few major features Plex has over Emby: the ability to set a series to DVD order.

The data is all there - theTVDB provides both DVD order and Airdate order.  Filebot can rename using either.  There's no excuse not to provide a simple option that will interpret episodes using DVD order instead of Airdate order.

Yes, it is possible to enforce DVD order manually, but that's only half the problem.  The other half is that, for some shows (e.g. Firefly), the DVD order is more widely-accepted as canonical, and so it makes the most sense to name episodes using that order.  Doing so will cause ALL metadata for said episodes to be incorrect.  Again, this can be manually corrected, but is tedious.

This isn't just an episode-display issue.  I don't just want my episode order to change at the client end, I want to be able to flag a specific show as having a preferred canonical order, both in its naming scheme and in the episode list, that is different from the airdate order.

Finally, for what it's worth, I am a new user of both Plex and Emby.  I am paying for both while I decide which to use forever.  This drawback could make the difference, for me, between a single $5 subscription, or a $120 lifetime pass.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...