From Windows Media Center to Kodi

Guardian Hope

Angelblue05

Mixed content is on our list of things to do for Emby for Kodi. Yeah mediabrowser add-on was able to pick it up, because it doesn't use the kodi native library to display the content.

With mixed content and using Kodi's database, we are limited by Kodi's native sections - movies/tv shows/music/music video. Mixed content might be eventually supported if we find a way around this. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guardian Hope

Mixed content is on our list of things to do for Emby for Kodi. Yeah mediabrowser add-on was able to pick it up, because it doesn't use the kodi native library to display the content.

With mixed content and using Kodi's database, we are limited by Kodi's native sections - movies/tv shows/music/music video. Mixed content might be eventually supported if we find a way around this. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, well that would explain it. I guess I will have to split Animation into two categories from now on given that limitation but everything else is working great now that I got it setup to my liking. 

I guess I am ready for Windows 10 now  :P

• Like 2

Deihmos

I am just curious but why did you use Windows Media Center? I only used it because of live TV but couldn't imagine using it for any other reason. You don't seem to use live TV. Mkv does not rewind or ff in wmc either. The most you could do is jump around and if you hold the button too long it jumped to the end. Not nearly as nice as it is in kodi.

Edited by Deihmos

Guardian Hope

I am just curious but why did you use Windows Media Center? I only used it because of live TV but couldn't imagine using it for any other reason. You don't seem to use live TV. Mkv does not rewind or ff in wmc either. The most you could do is jump around and if you hold the button too long it jumped to the end. Not nearly as nice as it is in kodi.

I used Windows Media Center because at the time when I was making a selection of what to create my "media center experience" around Windows Media Center was the best option. Kodi, or XBMC as it was back then, made you jump through hoops for every little thing and quite frankly wasn't the best designed (if I recall correctly - it stemmed from the world of Original Xbox Modification and could be flashed like a dashboard onto the system like UnleashedX and EvolutionX could).So after trying it out (yes, I'll admit that I do have a modified classic Xbox in my possession - still have it flashed to boot the regular dashboard and UnleashedX but it's in storage somewhere) I put XBMC to rest and never tried it again until I found it was a PC program. At that time it was very rough around the edges and I hated it. But what it really came down to "will I have to learn this and than teach it to people who want to use my screening room (well, Home Theater, it was a different home)?" and with Media Center that was not the case. Media Center Master + Windows Media Center + K-Lite Codec Mega Pack (x32 and x64) and a little configuration (an astounding 5-10 minutes worth) and I never had to worry about settings again. Then came MediaBrowser and once it evolved to handle metadata by itself it was so long to Media Center Master.

In Vista and 7 Media Center even with the codecs wasn't always stable with MKV - even with chapter support. It got better though and eventually in the later years of me using 7 it worked fine. By Windows 8 and 8.1 and I'm sure an update to the codecs (I only seem to do that at every OS upgrade) MKV worked like a charm in Media Center with rewind and fast forward. I don't know, maybe it was something I changed or did if you are saying you couldn't get MKV to fast forward or rewind but it works for me. It's pretty much always had from Windows 7 forward.

The only time I found MKV to be an issue is when using Media Center Extenders which I haven't used in years. Especially if it was sending data (or transcoding data - don't remember which) at 100-250+Mbps.

Then I got Wireless HDMI setup and it was so long to the extenders and any issues with MKV.

The Kodi of today is not anything like the XBMC I fiddled with all those years ago. I ignored it all this time because I had a working system.

Fortunately, Kodi; thanks to the generous help of the people here, is a marvelous replacement to Windows Media Center and where that green button is on my task bar will eventually be replaced by Kodi's icon. I've already started phasing it in - using it instead of WMC now that I got it working with Emby.