Refresh rate sync

tman

tman

Is there any foreseeable way to handle automatic refresh rate changing on the NP (or FTV)? Everything seems to playback at 1080P/60 in Emby, which is horrible for 24P movies or 50hz live TV (in the UK).

reluctantflux

They would need to use a different player instead of the native Android player. This is a pretty huge task, and that's how Kodi gets around it. You may want to look into Emby for Kodi on your streaming box.

tman

Interestingly, it seems like Google have just opened the app floodgates for the Nexus Player, and loads of other media related apps are now available, inc MX Player, which is very good. I guess if there is a native Android player that can switch refresh rates, Emby for Android TV would need to support external players to use it.

ice pube

i thought Android couldn't handle refresh rate changes at all...can Kodi do it on the android tV?

craigbeat

i thought Android couldn't handle refresh rate changes at all...can Kodi do it on the android tV?

Yeah, it can, but Kodi for Nexus Player doesn't (yet) do it. I believe there is a build for Nvidia shield that does. There's an app for ATV called TVHZ that lets you choose the refresh rate on the fly. On Lollipop, I only had 50Hz and 60Hz option, and there was a bug with audio dropping out when switching. On the M preview, I get 24, 25, 30, 50, and 60Hz, and the audio dropout bug is gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Just following this up. Tried the TVHZ app on my NP, and like you, only get the 50hz/60Hz option with Android 5.1.1. Trying to switch to 50hz for UK TV switches ok, but I also get the audio drop problem. Pretty ridiculous to expect to have to manually change the refresh rate as well. So, as far as I'm concerned, and this isn't the fault of Emby per se, using the NP for anything other than 60hz source media (and in the UK, that actually means 'none'), it's pretty much unwatchable. If Android M has the auto-refresh rate change feature, that can't come soon enough for me.

• 4 months later...
ice pube

I tried that tvhz app and I was able to see 24p when I rebooted the device. I haven't had much time to play around with it yet though. Hopefully it works...

I suppose I am on Android M...

Edited by ice pube

• 1 month later...
Kramerika

Is there no hope for Emby for Android TV to have an automatic refresh rate switching option like Kodi?  I have branched out to Emby on Kodi for that purpose alone (watching movies that are 24p) in addition to using the Emby app on the Shield TV for other media content, but it would be nice to consolidate our usage to the Emby app for everything.

Edited by Kramerika