Showing No Content on Roku Ap....

Joey04

Joey04

I am running Emby on Windows 7.

I set Media Location to C:\TV

In that folder, I have .AVIs, .MP4s, .MP3s, and even some ,JPGs (I just want to be able to stream ANYTHING)

I have opened up port 8096 on my firewall (as a troubleshooting step.)

The Roku "MediaBrowser" ap seems to be able to find my channel, but tells me it is not running when I select it.

The Roku "Emby" browser finds the channel, lets me log in, lets me select TV media, but gives me 27 selections (a # and the 26 letters) but under each one it tells me there are no media files.

Any help would be appreciated (this has been painful, but I am sure it will be worth it if I can get it to work...)

Thanks so much in advance!!!

first i would start with the web interface built into the server. does your content show up normally there?

how is your c:\tv folder structured?

Joey04

Thanks for the LIGHTNING FAST response! Just noticed it.

How do I get content to show using the web interface from the server? I will try to figure that out.

I have not done any structuring to c:\tv, but just dumped the files in there without sub-directories to see if I could see them on the Roku ap.

Joey04

In my start menu, under programs, I have a media browser directory with 2 items.

- Media Browser Server, which I see running because its an icon in the lower right hand corner of my screen

- MB dashboard, which brings up a web interface.

In the web interface, I have a lot of settings and dashboard information, but I can't seem to browse the media. 

Joey04

Ok, I have found the "Browse Library" from Media Browser Server, and it also tells me I have no media. So I guess I need to see if I can find media on my PC before I go back to the Roku box. 

How do I need to stucture c:\TV ?

If you don't want to follow the tv naming conventions, you can also just consider reclassifying c:\tv as home videos

Joey04

Ok, I have made progress by creating 'home videos' and pointing them to 'c:\tv'... I can now see the home videos on my browser. But when I play them, I get:

There was an error playing the video.

For best results with Internet Explorer please install the WebM playback plugin.

(which I will install shortly.)

But now when I go to the Roku player, it doesn't show me home videos, only TV, and TV is still just the 27 selections which are all empty. (Tried disconnecting and reconnecting, but no help.)

I will work on the TV structure later, but right now I just want to see something work on the Roku player on the separate TV. Any ideas?

I will load the plugun.

the plugin is just for the browser and wont' affect roku. This is very odd. can you perhaps show a screenshot of c:\tv? I would like to see what's underneath there. thanks.

Joey04

After loading the plugin, it went back to telling me I had no media. So I rebooted the server, and I could finally play content on my PC using the browser,

When I went back to the Roku box, it required my PIN again, and I needed to use with a user name and password. Is this going to be a regular thing? (I have to run room to room going from my PC to the TV with the Roku box, which has led to some frustration.)

But I am now able to watch the video files from my PC in one room, on my TV in another room (without mirroring or extending a long cable) which is pretty darn cool... 

Can I ask, is there a better device I can use on the HDTV, for smoother forwarding and rewinding than the Roku 3? I am hoping to cut the cord on our cable DVR system, but I got to give credit to the cable DVR that allows us frame by frame forwarding, rewinding, and different speeds to browse a video, much better than the Roku 3. Or should I open a separate thread for alternatives to the Roku 3?

Thanks VERY VERY much for your help here.

the roku app will remember your login until you use the logout button. once you logout you will have to log back in again.

please note - one of the primary benefits of the Connect/Pin feature is making it easy to access your content when away from home. When you're inside your home, it might be easier to not use it. So on the pin screen you can click Skip, and then most likely the Roku device will auto-detect your server and allow you to get right in.

Joey04

OK, I think I did try leaving and coming back from the Roku box. But I thought I came back before rebooting the server. 

Where is the Pin screen where I can disable it? It does not just require a PIN, but a PIN with a user name and password.

And are there better boxes than the Roku for the HDTV side? I got the Roku from a local store, and the salesman encouraged me to try it out for 30 days and they wouldn't care if we returned it within 30 days. 

Roku is very good, although for similar pricing you can get an amazon fire tv stick, which we have an app for as well:

http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-fire-tv/

So for the pin, nevermind. I thought you were using something else. Then in your case just don't use the logout function of the app and it should remember.