Make the "Music Videos" Collection type same as "Music" not "Movies"

bennymac

bennymac

Hi All,

It would be great if Music Video's could inherit all or just some of the conventions as music, as ultimately they are one in the same thing - kind of..

Currently, when editing the metadata for the Music Vidz we get Movie related fields ie. IMDB for external id's etc when essentially it doesn't apply to them.

Being able to assign id's to the Video like MusicBrainz would be cool. Perhaps backdrops could get downloaded for that artist too!

I understand you can edit the artist, album in the video's to appear under the artist music, but that only works when you actually have music for the artist in the library.

Cheers, Ben

Edited by bennymac
  • Like 3

the conventions for music videos need to be nailed down a little more, starting with the file naming convention. the plan is to start with the xbmc convention as a starting point, whatever that may happen to be. if anyone knows or wouldn't mind doing a little research, that would be fantastic.

• Like 1

Yea, I saw that, but we need a little bit more, like the directory structure. also, is artist-song.ext just for display or do they actually try and parse the names out. I just posed the question on their forums so hopefully i'll get some info. Thanks.

I currently have quite a few music videos in XBMC, all with nfo's done by hand. The structure I currently use is below, with all songs for each artist in the one folder:

Music Videos (folder)

- - Artist (folder)

- - - Artist - Song.mp4

- - - Artist - Song-poster.jpg

- - - Artist - Song-fanart.jpg

I did some testing with each song being in it's own folder under the artist folder. I found that the naming convention for the artwork must be in the below format :

Music Videos (folder)

- - Artist (folder)

- - - - Song 1 (folder)

- - - - - - Artist - Song.mp4

- - - - - - Artist - Song-poster.jpg

- - - - - - Artist - Song-fanart.jpg

- - - - Song 2 (folder)

- - - - - - Artist - Song.mp4

- - - - - - Artist - Song-poster.jpg

- - - - - - Artist - Song-fanart.jpg

*Note* If poster.jpg / fanart.jpg is used in the song folder without the filename as above, XBMC just extracts it's own poster image from the video itself and ignores any local artwork. It must be the filename with '-poster' or -fanart' appended at the end.

As for the nfo files: All the nfo's in my collection were done by hand using the Music Video nfo template from the XBMC wiki link below:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=NFO_files/Music_videos

<musicvideo>
<title>Bestsongintheworld</title>
<artist>Bestartistintheworld</artist>
<album>Me</album>
<genre>Pop</genre>
<runtime>3:20</runtime>
<plot>Scantly clad women hoing about</plot>
<year>2000</year>
<director>and I</director>
<studio>Ego prod.</studio>
</musicvideo>

Yea, I saw that, but we need a little bit more, like the directory structure. also, is artist-song.ext just for display or do they actually try and parse the names out. I just posed the question on their forums so hopefully i'll get some info. Thanks.

I just did a test on a few music videos: I had one just named with the song title and another with just random text and I can confirm that all the details are pulled from the nfo regardless of the filename and XBMC will display the artist / songname correctly. Aslong as the nfo matches the video filename, the video can use whatever naming convention you like.

Edited by Ethyria
  • Like 1

@Ethyria 

OK so based on this it looks like we might be in decent shape with music videos. We currently don't have an online source for metadata, but you can simulate that by editing medatata and images from the editing interface.

swhitmore

@Ethyria 

OK so based on this it looks like we might be in decent shape with music videos. We currently don't have an online source for metadata, but you can simulate that by editing medatata and images from the editing interface.

Would using a music source work? I would imagine a lot of the metadata would be the same.

Personally, I grab the <plot> info from the song's page on Last.fm, and the rest of the data (including the <director> and <studio> of the music video) from Wikipedia,  which 9 times out of 10 is on the wikipedia page for the song / single itself.

EDIT: I've just had a look at a few Last.fm song pages, you could possibly scrape the <artist>, <album>, <plot>, <year> and <runtime> from the song page.

Edited by Ethyria

EDIT: I've just had a look at a few Last.fm song pages, you could possibly scrape the , , , and from the song page.

Just as a point of order, we don't scrape anything.  We use public APIs.  I'm sure this information is also available there but I just want to make this point as many people don't realize this and what you see on a web page is not always what is available to us (depending on the provider).