Voices in movies are muffled

PBzeer

PBzeer

Had to do a system restore and now the voices in my 5.1 audio movies sound muffled (the rest of the audio track plays fine). I didn't change any settings or configurations, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

To get 5.1 from my laptop, I'm connected to a Toshiba Dynadock USB hub which ouputs 5.1 sound (it worked fine prior to the restore). My home-made 5.1 videos play fine (though voices are in music, not dialogoue), so it doesn't seem to be the speaker setup (they work right in test mode). This problem happens in both classic and theater (as well as media player), so it doesn't seem connected to the playback program itself. I also reripped a movie, to no effect. The voices are okay in the web client, but it's only outputting in 2.0.

I've tried resetting the configurations, rebooting and reinstalling classic, yet I can't seem to find the problem. Anyone have any ideas?

This isn't going to be us.  It is going to be something with the sound/speaker configuration on the device.  Make sure Windows is configured for the proper speaker setup and, if there is a receiver involved, it isn't running in some sort of "phantom" center mode or, worse, not running in phantom mode but not outputting to the center channel.

PBzeer

Yes, as I just discovered, the center speaker was enabled (I don't have one). Once I unchecked it from the config, I was back to normal.

Ah, so you needed to be running in phantom mode.  Glad you got it figured out.