I have seen the other side!

chef

chef

Tonight, I had to bring my son to Toronto to get a head start on a number of clinics he partakes in at the Hosptial Sick Children on a regular basis.

We usually spend the night before at my brother and sister inlaws place.

After dinner the kids wanted to watch a movie, so my bother in-law pulled up his movie library on his OS X.

Low and behold there it was... PLEX.

"PLEX user eh?" I said.

After watching him try and try to reduce a list of his digital media into movies that where rated "G" (painful), I told him I had another solution that he might be interested in.

I pulled up emby connect and walked him through my media library in his Windows PC while the kids started watching Cars 2.

He immediately wanted to add the emby server to that machine, and when the kids go to bed I will try and walk him through accessing on his OS X through the web client.

I have seen the other side, and they maybe similar and may even feel a bit like eachother... But after what I have seen... Emby is my preference :)

Edited by chef
  • Like 8

chef

This is pretty fantastic, I was able to build his build his library trough shared folders from a drive array remotely in a matter of seconds once the server was installed.

I was then able to contact the server easily and reproduce the UI across an OS X computer, a Windows PC, an iPad, and two iPhones.

Haha!

My brother in-law is so impressed right now.

The set up took only minutes (because I knew what I was doing... But still...).

We are currently streaming from a remote drive array to three devices at the same time. Mind you we have had to reduce the frame rate on some of the wireless devices.

• Like 6

mediacowboy

This is what it is all about. I know when I set out on this journey 4 years ago I was using media portal. The wife looked at me like what I was trying to do was crazy. Several hundred hours ripping my media and explain it to her. We now don't use cable but for basic tv and I know of 4 people I work with that have switched or started using it.

Edited by mediacowboy
  • Like 2

CashMoney

Same as @@mediacowboy :)

Wife used to hate it when I would fiddle with the TV and computer ... but now it's the ONLY way we watch anything regularly anymore. And my Brother in law and Mother in law are fast approaching the same conclusion. I also have 3 customers of my PC Repair business doing the same. And yes, they are all using Emby :)

• Like 1