Emby Server for "right" IP address in dual-NIC system?

RedmondBill

RedmondBill

Hi,

Is there a way to tell Emby Server to run off a particular network on a dual network system?

=========================

I'm running the latest Emby Server update on Windows 7.  My server has two NIC cards, each with a unique internal IP address:

Each NIC is on its own private subnet inside the house -- I use the .3. for a private backup network.

In the past, the Emby Server was available internally on 192.168.2.162.  However, somewhere in the past several months the server is running on 192.168.3.162.  Unfortunately other Emby clients in the house are not on that network.

Is there any way to tell the Emby Server to run off of the 192.168.2.162 network?  I went through the various screens and searched but could not find anything.

Thank you.

Edited by RedmondBill

JeremyFr79

You can try this....

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2526067

Or you can also try setting the metrics manually under advanced settings for each nic.  You open the nic properties, select IPV4, select advanced, uncheck "automatic metric" and then set the priority number you want each nic to have (lowest number = highest priority)

• 2 weeks later...
Haraldy09

I have a similar problem,

i use the pc (on which emby runs) to creat my own Wifi Network (Hotspot), with the microsoft virtual network adapter of windows 8.

I want to use emby in this netwerk, but emby allways use the network of my real wifi network adapter.

I've already tried both options from JeremyFr79, but emby still uses the wrong ip address. Only if i disconnect all other networkadapter ebmy use the ip of the virtual network adapter.

Is there really no way to adjust the right ip in emby?
or to share the UPnP service at all networks, such as windows or plex it makes?

lulzyatlas

There's a way to make the .3 network available to your .2 users however this would likely only work with manual IP entry and auto discovery/login would break as Emby doesn't seem to support non-multicast environments (broadcasts can't transverse subnets (more or less)). Changing a couple of NIC parameters could make your system more vulnerable to responding to random internet requests, but most of these will likely be filtered out entirely by your router.

Seeing as both your .3 networks and .2 networks are private networks of your own, you could switch your NICs to weakhost mode which will allow them to receive and process traffic for the other. (Your network card on the .2 interface, could then pass a multicast request over to your .3 interface where Emby is located, Emby could answer, and respond back telling clients to find it on that subnet). Both subnets should appear to Windows as local, so SMB shouldn't need to be forwarded and Path Substitution should still function.

As far as I know, IP/Port manipulation of Emby, and Path Substitution Control (something I've started to request) is unavailable to us, Emby chooses it's own somewhere and we work with it. So working around would be the only solution.

I'm trying to think over any other Network setting bypasses that will allow Emby to talk to both of your subnets regardless of your IPs, by letting your NICs forward traffic to eachother. weakhost mode would be my first guess, afterwards I'd try multicast forwarding, and if that is unsuccessful static routes (though I don't think static routes alone will forward the multicast requests). I'll let you know if I come up with anything else.

I'd go into enabling weakhost mode here and assume based on your network configuration you'll be able to figure out the netsh command line tool, but I'd rather just link to a site with a decent writeup of it to defer users here from trying it believing it to be a quick fix, as in the wrong network environment it can be an undesirable switch. The article references ipv6, but the flag you wanna use here is ipv4. If it works as it should, you

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.09.cableguy.aspx

Of course, if fiddling with your network settings to allow Emby to talk to both subnets is a bit much, leave a note in the feature request, or a support ticket even, for manual IP/NIC selection and hope it makes it into an update.

Couple more ideas that popped into my head on the way out, Windows Firewall supports blocking programs on a per-subnet basis. Perhaps blocking Emby from accessing the 192.168.3.0/24 subnet will force it to fall back on the system's next available connection on 192.168.2.*. Of course these are all general ideas, and will require some know how and testing to work out.

The last, bridging the NICs, configuration of the bridge allows for adding multiple IPs and multiple Gateways, you'd have to configure your server to connect statically to the gateways for both of your subnets as I can't vouch for DHCP functionality in this regard, but with two NICs talking to both subnets, it should be able to find both gateways and establish both IPs on those networks with a multi IP/Gateway bridge. You can do this by creating the bridge and editing the bridge's IPv4 settings in advanced. This should also allowed it to be visible and talk to both networks, regardless of which one Emby prioritizes.

Edited by lulzyatlas

JeremyFr79

If the router supports it, you could try setting up a static route between the 2 subnets

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is there ever going to be a feature that allows us to configure which network connection is used by Emby server?

My HTPC has multiple network connections and Emby always connects to the wrong one (the one with internet access), that other local clients cannot connect to. This means we can only use the client on the HTPC itself.

I only want emby to connect to the internet to obtain meta data. I don't want to access my library remotely, only on the home network.

At the moment I have two options I think, either set up a dedicated emby server machine (maybe freenas based?), or set up a VM for emby to run in. I would rather do neither to avoid the additional cost. Also, I don't think my HTPC has the resources to run a VM, would probably need to upgrade the RAM and CPU.

I think a simple feature to be able to choose the IP address of Emby server (and which network it uses) would be a great feature to have. Please add it!

Is there ever going to be a feature that allows us to configure which network connection is used by Emby server?

My HTPC has multiple network connections and Emby always connects to the wrong one (the one with internet access), that other local clients cannot connect to. This means we can only use the client on the HTPC itself.

I only want emby to connect to the internet to obtain meta data. I don't want to access my library remotely, only on the home network.

At the moment I have two options I think, either set up a dedicated emby server machine (maybe freenas based?), or set up a VM for emby to run in. I would rather do neither to avoid the additional cost. Also, I don't think my HTPC has the resources to run a VM, would probably need to upgrade the RAM and CPU.

I think a simple feature to be able to choose the IP address of Emby server (and which network it uses) would be a great feature to have. Please add it!

I'd like to see an example. Please provide the server log:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem.   I am running Virtualbox and Emby Server.   The Emby server always picks the VirtualBox IP (NIC) when the server starts.  I need to disable the the VirtualBox NIC load the server so it binds, then re enable the NIC after the bind is complete.  When Emby Server loads, it should allow you to pick what NIC to use and write it in a conf / xml file and keep using that NIC until it's removed or changed.  The Emby Server is 100% total awesomeness and I would LOVE to support it 100% once this issue has been fixed!    -  Skr'bec Technology, LLC

Hi,

Is there a way to tell Emby Server to run off a particular network on a dual network system?

=========================

I'm running the latest Emby Server update on Windows 7. My server has two NIC cards, each with a unique internal IP address:

Each NIC is on its own private subnet inside the house -- I use the .3. for a private backup network.

In the past, the Emby Server was available internally on 192.168.2.162. However, somewhere in the past several months the server is running on 192.168.3.162. Unfortunately other Emby clients in the house are not on that network.

Is there any way to tell the Emby Server to run off of the 192.168.2.162 network? I went through the various screens and searched but could not find anything.

Thank you.

Long ago there was an RPC adjustment tool that Microsoft had that would allow you to logically bind a program, service, port to a specific NIC interface. This program fell into disarray during the early windows 7 days.

You may be able to bind the program to a specific IP address using a custom application named ForceBindIP. It is a command line application so you have to be comfortable with being a command line cowboy. Check out te howtogeek article about the application. http://www.howtogeek.com/117890/how-to-force-an-application-to-use-a-specific-network-card/

One thing to remember, you will need to adjust the program call (if running as a service) or the shortcut on your desktop or startup folder(in your roaming appdata folder)

Edited by Tur0k

• 1 month later...
LocknLoad

Hello All,

More than a year later and not sure if this has been fixed.

I installed a second NIC on the server to run backups between servers out of band and now Emby keeps using that NIC instead of the internal client one.

Has anyone got a simple work around outside of having to disable and enable the backup NIC every time I need to run a backup?

Can we not request a simple feature request - We can already chose the port - why not the NIC / Static IP ?

badbread

I am running into this problem as well. My EMBY server is on a machine with multiple NICS and is reporting the wrong IP in the server manager. Unfortunately this is causing the auto-discovery to fail and it will not login from my internal network unless I manually connect.

• 4 weeks later...
nonstatic

Same issue here.  It seems ForceBindIP is the only likely workaround, as mentioned in a previous post though I haven't tried it yet.  FYI there are now some GUI options for those who don't want to fuss with command line: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/bind-windows-application-to-specific-network-adapter-with-forcebindip/

Edited by nonstatic

• 1 month later...