Question on Metadata Storage

JeremyFr79

JeremyFr79

So I have what is hopefully a quick question on the storage of Metadata for content.

if I uncheck "save artwork and metadata into media folders" will this force Emby Server to store all Metadata/artwork locally on the server itself? i.e. in the metadata folder I've defined in settings?

The reason I ask is I would like to eliminate all the metadata/artwork etc off my storage server since the files are small and the stripe size on the array fairly large leading to alot of lost space.  Also with the array I have setup on my main Emby Server it could easily feed up all the metadata/artwork etc extremely fast itself without having to pull across the network from the storage server.

Thanks for any help on this!

Jeremy

ginjaninja

yes turn off save artwork and metadata into media folders

as an aside, i think there is a use case, where people want both fast metadata read off the ssd and also to store metadata in media folders for quick easy rebuilds respecting any manually defined metadata/matches/fixed fields....

but i dont think this is offered yet as using the option 'store metadata in media folders' results in the media folder becoming the primary source at runtime for some aspects....love to be told thats not so..but i think it is...

that isn't even worth adding. the performance of image delivery is dominated by resizing operations and then by the client downloading the result. Even a 100x improvement in disk i/o isn't going to have any effect on either of those two.

JeremyFr79

that isn't even worth adding. the performance of image delivery is dominated by resizing operations and then by the client downloading the result. Even a 100x improvement in disk i/o isn't going to have any effect on either of those two.

But back to my question I can move Metadata from the media folders to a folder local on my Embyserver? like I said I only ask due to stripe sizing on the array being optimized for large files, not small things like xml/images etc.

ginjaninja

Turn off the setting and the metadata will be populated on ssd..if sensitive, backup media folder metadata, and check that the media folder metadata values remain honored and you would probably have to delete the media folder metadata yourself once happy. You may find that metadata path once focused on media folder is stuck on the mediafolder for some objects even though the setting is changed..clearing the library.db (backup first) after changing the setting will address if you havent made any manual changes and are happy for the metadata to be rebuilt.

ginjaninja

Luke, There is at least one instance when this isnt so..or at least thats how it seams. Namely when browsing movie folders, the movie image will sometimes take 10-15 seconds to appear in roku client...this seems to coincide with the media folder disk being asleep and having to wake up..The ssd wake up time..not that it would ever go to sleep is a fraction of a ms.

JeremyFr79

Turn off the setting and the metadata will be populated on ssd..if sensitive, backup media folder metadata, and check that the media folder metadata values remain honored and you would probably have to delete the media folder metadata yourself once happy. You may find that metadata path once focused on media folder is stuck on the mediafolder for some objects even though the setting is changed..clearing the library.db (backup first) after changing the setting will address if you havent made any manual changes and are happy for the metadata to be rebuilt.

Yeah I bit the bullet yesterday, wiped all MetaData from my entire Emby directory on my storage server, and unchecked the "store metadata with media" box, did a refresh, and now everything is stored where I want it.  I wasn't moving to SSD, but in my scenario I have a storage server with a 24 drive raid 50 array.  The stripe size is optimized for large files (ie movies etc) as such, storing little file's means alot of wasted space on the drive as say a 4k file will still use an entire 1mb stripe.  Now my Emby server which is a seperate dedicated box for Emby, has it's own 6 drive RAID5, of which the stripe size is optimized for smaller files hence why I wanted to move all the Metadata from my storage server to my Emby server.  

At anyrate, it's done, and working, and now I don't have to worry about losing space to small files scattered all over the place.  That was my main concern in all of this.  Speed was never an issue for me as my storage array feeds over 600MBps for read/write speed's.  In most scenarios keeping the metadata with Media makes sense, but I'm not most scenarios lol