Server Unreachable when trying to access remotely

Philsutera

storyhack

I'm on windows 10 if that helps. I am not using any other firewall. Just for kicks, I exited out of emby, then ran a web server on port 8096. I was able to access it over the lan as well as remotely, no problem. After I closed the web server and started emby, I got the same connection timeout error I was getting before. That's why I'm wondering if there's a setting somewhere that I'm missing. I can't see where else the problem could be.

techworld

I just want to update about this issue is that sometimes Emby Connect let me connecting and sometimes isn't.

It worked yesterday on my iPhone, and computer remotely via Emby Connect, but today it isn't.

Today, I can only access remotely via my https://url:8920.

I know you guys devs are busy w/a lot of projects going on, so I just stick with my URL.

@@storyhack,

I don't think this is your server or router issue, but it's Emby Connect.

storyhack

I tried some different ports, no joy. I may try a reinstall tomorrow. 

Also, this is trying emby connect and connecting directly via browsers.

Edited by storyhack

If this is direct connection without emby connect then it's just an issue of inability for the app to reach the server. I understand you're zeroing in on emby server as the culprit based on your question about rolling back, but I honestly don't think that's going to help you. if you can't connect via direct manual entry of ip address from app to server, then something in the middle is blocking it somewhere.

pünktchen

I also cannot connect directly to my server via https. I have a dns service setup and it's fine for http (8096) - in web client and Andoid app. I've tried other ports for https but it doesn't change anything [emoji20]

jmos1277

I'm seeing something similar with a new install of Emby.

I set up Emby Connect on my server under the Users -> Profile tab.  I activated remote access via the link in the email.  However, when I go to http://app.emby.media, I only see my servers local network address.  That's great if I'm on my network, but I obviously cannot access my server from outside my network.  

Oh, and my dashboard does indeed show the correct local and remote access addresses.

560de438bb0b8_ScreenShot20151001at95039P

Edited by jmos1277

Happy2Play

jmos1277

I see the same thing but clicking on the server with lan address still connect while remote.  Also have you tried the "add server"?

jmos1277

I see the same thing but clicking on the server with lan address still connect while remote.  Also have you tried the "add server"?

yes, he's correct. that is just displaying the last address that was used, or default to local if not used yet via that device/browser. the next release will just remove that text altogether because people have been seeing it and thinking something is wrong.

FYI: I've tried to add server manually, and it didn't work either.

Let's back all the way up to the basics to see if we can narrow it down.

Does canyouseeme.org report that it can access your Emby port?

storyhack

If this is direct connection without emby connect then it's just an issue of inability for the app to reach the server. I understand you're zeroing in on emby server as the culprit based on your question about rolling back, but I honestly don't think that's going to help you. if you can't connect via direct manual entry of ip address from app to server, then something in the middle is blocking it somewhere.

This is what I'm finding so frustrating. I can't figure out what else could possibly be coming in between emby and everything else. Nothing is blocking the port, as I can run and access a web server on that port fine. The windows firewall rules are set up correctly, and I have no other firewall installed. I've tried the stable and the dev version of emby.

I can access emby from a browser installed on the same machine, but I can't get access from any other computer. And to add a little insult to that injury, it all worked great when I first installed emby (~2 weeks ago).

Can you guys think of anything else I might be overlooking?

Beardyname

re add the firewall rules, an update might cause it to change.

If that fails, try disabling the firewall for testing. If that works then it's the FW that is messing up.

we have seen many examples where disabling windows firewall has caused more problems and it's better to instead keep it running with the rules configured. but there's no harm in temporarily switching it off for testing.

storyhack

Okay, I got everything working again. I'm still not sure exactly what the issue was, but I think it had to do something with the windows registry. I uninstalled/reinstalled several times with no luck. This last time, though, I was much more thorough. I ran the uninstaller, then I ran the registry cleaning function of CCleaner. Then I used regedit to search for (& destroy) any more registry values that had "emby" in them. Then I rebooted and reinstalled emby (stable version) and I could access the server over then lan and internet again.

I suspect something happened when emby did the automatic update around the 29th of last month, as that is when my server stopped working.

• Like 2

theking2008

Try changeip at changeip.com, its a DNS service installed on a local computer to be accessible from the outside. I have used it for more than a year and it works great.

maximilianh75

I have a problem similar . I can't access emby in remote mode anymore and another programs that using TCP port Can without any problem. 

Something I don't know it's blocking me to connect from the outside

But with same configuration a time ago I Can