App direct stream or Transcode?

whitman27
Go to solution Solved by 7illusions,

whitman27

Hi Guys,

Since I am new to windows 8.1 and have always been using Theater or Classic on WIn 7 this is all new to me.

I like the layout of the app, but if its transcoding then I would prefer to stay with Theater and stream everything direct.

Just wondering, Thanks
Whit

• Solution
7illusions

It depends on the format. The app can't play iso or mkv without transcoding, but most other formats should be direct streamed.

For a more thorough report I think @@Vicpa can answer since he'stested most formats. :)

• Like 1

whitman27

It depends on the format. The app can't play iso or mkv without transcoding, but most other formats should be direct streamed.

For a more thorough report I think @@Vicpa can answer since he'stested most formats. :)

Thanks I was doing some reading when you posted this and found my answer. 

Will be nice to see what WIndows 10 brings with MKV support... That will be nice if it works and avoid transcoding all together

Vicpa

Hi,

MKV works great (DTS support is a work in progress) and you can add native flac support to the list as well. :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Alceste

How did you guys configure direct play? I am running the Emby app under windows 10 and .mkv files are transcoding (at least this is what it says in the Header) (FYI direct play is working fine with Kodi as well as with some movies in the app). Also I have the impression that the app does not like it, when Plex is running in the same network, as I had it to shut it off to get anything to play.

Edited by Alceste

Happy2Play

How did you guys configure direct play? I am running the Emby app under windows 10 and .mkv files are transcoding (at least this is what it says in the Header) (FYI direct play is working fine with Kodi as well as with some movies in the app). Also I have the impression that the app does not like it, when Plex is running in the same network, as I had it to shut it off to get anything to play.

Have you verified the StreamingProfile.xml was updated?  See here.