EMBY windows server crash....

aziz

aziz

Hi,

I lost my motherboard, so i had to do a fresh install, followed by a restore.  it all seems to work, but since i have a large collection, the scan takes forever, which is fine, but it also crashes the server, and seems to affect the entire networks (network seems to drop all connections - which does not happen if the server is not running)

I have stopped the server now as i don't want it to kill my network.. any help is appreciated.. thanks

attached are the logs.

server-63567676800.txt

server-63567680293.txt

unhandled_11e92167-bd4e-4be8-8074-10f4315cf08a.txt

this is resolved for the next release. you can grab the dev build now if you need

aziz

Hi Luke,

I guess you are saying it is a bug in the current version, and if i upgrade to dev code this will go!!, am i right??

many thanks

moviefan

Can you elaborate on how this killed your entire network?  Seems very odd....

What was the fix?

aziz

Hi Guys,

I was away trying to get my server to an older version through a serious of backups and restores... I am almost there :)  :)

OK.. with regards to the network.. here is what happens..  when the EMBY server crashes, all my Media extenders (WMC) that are working at the time on my network die as if you have network disruption.  The rest of the system does not show any signs of problems apart from Windows Media Center Extenders.. (and I have few running at any given time... so, since I am not going to put my server on dev code, I had to hunt for a old backups... 

I think you should allow people to install older version of the server directly from your website, to cover for this kind of issues... Feedback??

moviefan

Okay so your network didn't break but all the extenders which are tied to the EMBY server don't work anymore.

That makes more sense...

aziz

Hi Moviefan,

Your assumption is completely wrong..  My WMC and extenders have nothing to do with my EMBY server which runs on a separate box (in a completely different area).    In this scenario, the EMBY server crashing does bring down the WMC devices which are on different boxes and different part of the house.. i.e. Network Disruption..

thanks.

moviefan

Okay well I apologize for reading your earlier post incorrectly but if the EMBY server was causing "network disruption" than WMC extenders would not be the only thing that was impacted.  There has to be some other tie in.  I guess it's resolved so probably not much point in debating this further.

Edited by moviefan

aziz

Guys...  It is not resolved until it is in official release... no one in his right mind would install beta (unless you are beta tester) in production environment. 

Guys, you are trying to make it to the big boys club.. this is a terrible answer for your customers...

You have to give people the option to roll back to an earlier "official" release... otherwise no one is going to take EMBY seriously... 

p.s.  This happens in all software companies (releasing buggy software), but with EMBY, I don't have a choice but run on a code that everyone knows contains critical bugs.. (I can't  cope with critical bugs)