How to rewatch a series, and get it to track current episode progress?

bradford

bradford

I am re-watching a series, which has all its episodes set as watched. Is it possible to start watching the series again and have the current episode tracking functional? I know Plex can do that, which is where I'm coming from. I suppose I could mark the whole series 'unwatched', but if there's a way for Emby to handle this somewhat common occurrence automatically, I think that would be ideal.

I'm very happy with Emby, and the recent updates to the Kodi plugin are phenomenal. Thanks for everyone's work on this project.

Edited by bradford

Angelblue05

It should work like Kodi works. Basically, it will keep as watched, but save the resume point if you don't finish the episode. If you do finish it, then it will leave as watched and increase the playcount. So I guess if you are looking for a visual marker, then you can look at the playcount or create a resume point (the icon will change but still keep it as watched).

@@bradford I forgot to mention, next up should still work, I think? :) It should help you keep track as well altho, I'm unsure about rewatched....

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

ginjaninja

When u say current episode tracking functionality...

Are you expecting just a resume point or for the episode/series to be on next up (on deck)?

• Like 1

bradford

It should work like Kodi works. Basically, it will keep as watched, but save the resume point if you don't finish the episode. If you do finish it, then it will leave as watched and increase the playcount. So I guess if you are looking for a visual marker, then you can look at the playcount or create a resume point (the icon will change but still keep it as watched).

@@bradford I forgot to mention, next up should still work, I think? :) It should help you keep track as well altho, I'm unsure about rewatched....

When u say current episode tracking functionality...

Are you expecting just a resume point or for the episode/series to be on next up (on deck)?

Yes, sorry, I should have been more clear. It correctly tracks the position within an episode. I'm talking about the position within a series. The "On Deck" feature.

ginjaninja

For me next up is all about the system identifying the most likely subset of the content i am likely to want to play next.

Which i guess your use case does fit for.

Challenge for your suggestion is that watched/unwatched is a key factor in determining shows in flight/and the position within a show.

Plex doesnt add whole shows to next up/on deck once they are watched and an individual episode rewatched. It does maintain resume points on next up for individual episodes.

Question is....given the complexity involved in meeting your use case...why not just expect the user to mark the show unwatched if the users wants to rewatch a show (and have it appear under next up)..what is the disadvantage? It would then fit with all? existing/related functionality without recoding.

I can think of a disadvantage to your suggestion...if a user rewatched an episode of a watched show..not as part of an intention to start watching the show but say to clarify a scene.. how would the user remove the show from next up...if not by watched status/not in flight?

I guess there could be a ' rewatch from here' which placed all subsequent episodes of a watched show in flight at 0.01 secs....and thus eligable to appear on next up even though watched..

Sounds very complex..for how much benefit?

• Like 3

bradford

For me next up is all about the system identifying the most likely subset of the content i am likely to want to play next.

Which i guess your use case does fit for.

Challenge for your suggestion is that watched/unwatched is a key factor in determining shows in flight/and the position within a show.

Plex doesnt add whole shows to next up/on deck once they are watched and an individual episode rewatched. It does maintain resume points on next up for individual episodes.

Question is....given the complexity involved in meeting your use case...why not just expect the user to mark the show unwatched if the users wants to rewatch a show (and have it appear under next up)..what is the disadvantage? It would then fit with all? existing/related functionality without recoding.

I can think of a disadvantage to your suggestion...if a user rewatched an episode of a watched show..not as part of an intention to start watching the show but say to clarify a scene.. how would the user remove the show from next up...if not by watched status/not in flight?

I guess there could be a ' rewatch from here' which placed all subsequent episodes of a watched show in flight at 0.01 secs....and thus eligable to appear on next up even though watched..

Sounds very complex..for how much benefit?

You bring up good points, and I actually like your suggestion of the "rewatch from here", since that actually sounds the most simple. It would bring it back onto the deck, which I imagine would be simple, having no inside knowledge of your codebase. But if the contextual menu for playing an episode, which I have set to happen each time I play, is derived or can be modified by the emby plugin, that would be pretty slick.

I am playing around with it and observing different behavior - perhaps based on the high tempo of updates. Unless I'm mistaken, when I watched an episode of a completely watched series, it threw it on deck. It looked like it automatically marked the next episode as unwatched. I know I didn't, but I don't know if that's an artifact of accidentally starting and not finishing an episode.

One other issue (should I make a new thread?), and that's with the most recent Kodi/Emby plugin, it's not updating the 'on deck' for my currently watched TV series. I'm using the most recent Arctic Zephyr skin if that makes a difference. When I complete an episode, the on-deck doesn't update/refresh. Do you have a special version of Arctic Zephyr? It looks like the version in your repo is older, and I upgraded to the most current because one of the recent Emby plugin updates might have killed it - the skin was really mangled. 

Edited by bradford

Angelblue05

@@bradford

I'm not sure what you mean by:  "it's not updating the 'on deck' for my currently watched TV series".

Can you elaborate? It will help determine if anything can be done. Let me know. :)

Nothing should be marked as unwatched unless you actually marks it as unwatched. Kodi will create a resume point after the 1 minute mark, if you stop the show before then, it should remain as watched.

Edited by Angelblue05

bradford

@@bradford

I'm not sure what you mean by:  "it's not updating the 'on deck' for my currently watched TV series".

Can you elaborate? It will help determine if anything can be done. Let me know. :)

Nothing should be marked as unwatched unless you actually marks it as unwatched. Kodi will create a resume point after the 1 minute mark, if you stop the show before then, it should remain as watched.

Sure - I'm currently watching Arrow. When I finish an episode, and it kicks back to the main Kodi screen which shows on-deck episodes. I expect it to show the next episode of Arrow, but the screen flashes as if it's refreshing the data and shows the episode I just watched. When I view details for the series/season, it does not show the episode as watched. It looks like it's not properly syncing with the server. If you'd like I can capture a log.

Angelblue05

Please also post your Emby for Kodi log set to info, thanks. What shortcut is the on-deck episode? Emby Next up? If you go and play content via the library, does it behave the same? You know you can enable play next video automatically via Kodi settings > video > playback

I added a failsafe to mark as watched or unwatched. What version are you on? 0.1.91?

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

marcelveldt

Sure - I'm currently watching Arrow. When I finish an episode, and it kicks back to the main Kodi screen which shows on-deck episodes. I expect it to show the next episode of Arrow, but the screen flashes as if it's refreshing the data and shows the episode I just watched. When I view details for the series/season, it does not show the episode as watched. It looks like it's not properly syncing with the server. If you'd like I can capture a log.

If you go to your TV show library (not the widget) is the episode marked correctly then ?

This might be related to the skin you're using. The skin might need to do a forced refresh of the widget after playback has stopped or the library changed. Something that not all skinners know is that the Kodi homescreen and so the widgets will be loaded in memory forever.

If the item is marked as watched correctly in the library and not in the widhet, do you mind give it a quick test with my Titan skin ? I have some logic in there that unloads the widget when the player is busy, it is both for optimizing playback and to prevent this issue. If that works I can give the skinner of your skin a heads up about this.

• Like 1

swhitmore

Can't you just click the watched status in MBS from watched to unwatched, then start watching the series again? That's what I do.

bradford

@@Angelblue05 I will try that this weekend

If you go to your TV show library (not the widget) is the episode marked correctly then ?

This might be related to the skin you're using. The skin might need to do a forced refresh of the widget after playback has stopped or the library changed. Something that not all skinners know is that the Kodi homescreen and so the widgets will be loaded in memory forever.

If the item is marked as watched correctly in the library and not in the widhet, do you mind give it a quick test with my Titan skin ? I have some logic in there that unloads the widget when the player is busy, it is both for optimizing playback and to prevent this issue. If that works I can give the skinner of your skin a heads up about this.

I have noticed that browsing into the series (since that's how I play the next episode, since 'on-deck' isn't functioning correctly for me) the episode I most recently watched is NOT correctly marked as watched. If I restart Kodi it does sync up.

Can't you just click the watched status in MBS from watched to unwatched, then start watching the series again? That's what I do.

I mentioned that as an alternative, and it's not too difficult, but it's not easy to do it entirely from Kodi as far as I know.

swhitmore

I mentioned that as an alternative, and it's not too difficult, but it's not easy to do it entirely from Kodi as far as I know.

But if he is running MBS, can't he just do it from there, then it will sync to Kodi?

Angelblue05

I think I need some clarification on the terminology used here. I'm still a bit confused. :)

When you mean 'on-deck', do you mean widget? If not, what exactly are you referring to?

Are you talking about Next up not refreshing or are you referring to the fact that you can't play the next episode automatically? Thanks for clarifying.

bradford

I think I need some clarification on the terminology used here. I'm still a bit confused. :)

When you mean 'on-deck', do you mean widget? If not, what exactly are you referring to?

Are you talking about Next up not refreshing or are you referring to the fact that you can't play the next episode automatically? Thanks for clarifying.

That may be because I am not sure of the difference between 'On Deck' and 'Next Up' and whether either of them use a widget for that.

I'm using Arctic: Zephyr skin, which can show the next up episodes as a full-screen view, scrolling left and right cycles through whichever TV shows have a 'next episode' tracked for them, however that is. I start watching from this view, and the episode completes, and I get bumped back to this view. I expect it to refresh and show the next episode - and it does refresh, but it's not the next episode. When I browse into the list of episodes on Kodi, it doesn't show it as watched. Only when I exit Kodi and enter again does it update that.

The Netflix style episode progression seems to work most of the time. 

I will get a log up - I need to figure out how to do that and how to capture just what I want to submit instead of all the other crap that won't help here.

Edited by bradford