Samsung Smart TV and h.265

Guy_de_Siguro

Guy_de_Siguro

Hi all,

I have a samsung smart TV and Emby installed on my windows PC. I am trying to get emby to transcode my mp4/m4v videos from the embedded h265 codec to a codec that the smart TV should understand. I have played around with the DLNA profiles and tried blacklisting h265 as an unsupported codec for the TV to no avail. Transcoding the files is working as I can watch the files in my web browser. Direct Play also works if the client supports h265. 

I'm unsure what to set in the DLNA profiles to make it work and would provide any information necessary.

(Sidenote; when streaming/transcoding the h265 video to my browser the quality is quite bad, even when the stream is set to 1080p/30mbps, side effect of transcoding or what?)

Thanks for any help.

Guy_de_Siguro

An Update, transcoding the h265 videos also works fine to a chromecast. Furthermore it appears transcoding just doesn't activate at all for my samsung smart TV as not even flac songs are converted to mp3 for the tv.

you might want to check the server log to see if the samsung dlna profile is being used. if it is, then perhaps the profile transcoding needs adjustment. if it's not, then we need to look at the profile detection