Emby marked an unwatched show as watched

mobamoba
Go to solution Solved by mobamoba,

mobamoba

I'm using Kodi Helix and Emby beta.

I just added an episode of a TV show and, when I went to go look for it in Kodi, I couldn't find it because Emby updated it into the Kodi database as alredy watched (when, in fact, I'd never played any of it). I can sort of see what happened: the episode was added to Emby twice, first as an messed-up file - which I knew because I watched it - then later as a correct file. I think Emby decided, because the title and episode numbers were the same, that these two different files, one messed up and one fine, were the same file and that I'd already watched whereas they were actually two different files with the same name (and completely different lengths - the screwed-up file was around 3 minutes whereas the actual real file was close to an hour).

I believe this to be the case because on looking at the logs, it looks like Emby assigned the same ID to both files. I'm not really sure what characteristics Emby uses to uniquely identify a file but, in this case, I think it didn't work so I wanted to report it.

Edited by mobamoba

Angelblue05

If you want to fix this behavior, just change the date added to file creation date instead of date added to the library.

Emby dashboard > Metadata > Advanced. Pick file creation date instead of date scanned.

555676624faa4_dateadded.jpg

Date scanned will help if you replace episodes a lot in quality. It will treat the same episode - diff quality as the same entry in the database.

However file creation date will help if you want new episodes/quality replacement to be treated as different items in the database.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

• Solution
mobamoba

I actually am using file creation date. I think, when I saw the video glitch, I simply re-recorded, so probably the file creation date (and the date scanned into the server) were the same for both. I'm not really sure this is a bug per se, but maybe it could be more granular and include time as well as date. I'll repost this in the server thread however since that seems to be where it belongs thanks.

• Like 1