Specials in line with season

DGMayor

DGMayor

What determines the placement of specials in the seasons?   I ask because of course the first show I checked was Doctor Who, and they're out of wack - season 5 and 6 stuff showing in season 1, etc.   Is there something in the Metadata I can edit to fix it or is it automatically pulled elsewhere.

it's these values in xml:

but it's also only showing specials that have a known air date, in an attempt to only include the ones that actually aired on tv.

DGMayor

it's these values in xml:

<airsafter_season>2</airsafter_season>
  <airsbefore_episode>
  </airsbefore_episode>
  <airsbefore_season>
  </airsbefore_season>

but it's also only showing specials that have a known air date, in an attempt to only include the ones that actually aired on tv.

Think we could expose those values and maybe the aired on date value in the metadata editor?

Also, what if it doesn't air after or before a season?  Again I use Doctor Who.  There are over 90 specials in TVDB for Doctor Who. Many are 5 minute "Prequel" episodes that fall before specific episodes.  Many of them are scattered throughout the season.  Here's a good example:

http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=78804&seasonid=372611&lid=7

Edited by DGMayor
  • Like 1

those are just the names of the xml values. they are not named intuitively but they have already been in use by metabrowser and mcm so i just adopted. once they go into the metadata editor they will have friendly names. you can have specials before, after, or during. it's all controlled by different combinations of the three values.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, as my kids have now got into Doctor Who I am facing the "Specials" issue as well.

Did you find a good way to treat them?

I added them to a Specials folder (Doctor.Who.2005.50th.Anniversary.Special.The.Day.of.the.Doctor.mkv and Doctor.Who.2005.Christmas.Special.2011.The.Doctor.The.Widow.And.The.Wardrobe.mkv) but both MBS and MCM have no idea how to deal with them.

This is the way I do it and have done for a long time.

Specials for a particular series all in one folder called

Season 0

Next the epsiode named the same way as on TVDB, (eg The Day of the Doctor would be S00E83) then let your metadata program grab all the info. Works for me.

Edited by Yogi
  • Like 1

This is the way I do it and have done for a long time.

Specials for a particular series all in one folder called

Season 0

Next the epsiode named the same way as on TVDB, (eg The Day of the Doctor would be S00E83) then let your metadata prgoram grabbed all the info. Works for me.

Same here as well.

• Like 1

you can just put them in yoru season 0 folder like other specials. they don't need an episode number. for example "Season 2 bloopers.mkv" will be just fine.

I've used that method (TVDB listings) for specials that actually aired on TV... but how should we handle specials that are ripped from the disks, whether BD or DVD? I've tried putting them all in a show-level 'Specials' folder, with and without Season sub-folders. I've tried putting them in a 'Specials' folder inside each season. Neither way seems to work consistently. What's recommended?

Edited by pagali

you can just put them in yoru season 0 folder like other specials. they don't need an episode number. for example "Season 2 bloopers.mkv" will be just fine.

Oops. What a mess! Don't try this at home, kids! I tried this with a couple of series... and MB3 changed display titles, sort titles, assigned obscure episode numbers... it was determined to match my dvd features to unrelated things in TVDB, whether it made any sense or not. Example: I had a Fringe DVD file called "Season 1 - Gag Reel.mkv". It got turned into "Past + Present + Future -- A Tale of Two Walters"   Figure that one out! :P

Be sure if you have any features not in TVDB that you turn off metadata for that Specials folder before you put them in there! And maybe make it read-only also. I had to use the metadata editor to correct titles, sort titles, change source to Video (instead of Episode) and delete episode numbers.

yea metabrowser does the same thing. it's easy enough to correct afterwards. you don't have to change the source type though.

I changed the source type because until I did, MB3 kept putting the phony episode numbers back into the mix.