Can't stop my addiction.........

JeremyFr79

trusselo

they sickness is called "data hoarding"

and many of us here have it.

I picked up an HP DL360 G5 for 175$ just because i could.

Dual Quad Xenon 16GB ram, dual redundant PSUs, 6 internal SSF hdd bays, 2x single port HBA 4GB fiber cards

Deal.

Came out of a bank, sold at bulk at auction, bought off kijiji (canadian craigslist) for 175$

clean, no dust, mint condition.

bought that as i was buying 4x 5TB drives for a RAID5 setup in my other server with an LSI megaraid card.

Edited by trusselo

JeremyFr79

Immediately upgraded this to 48GB of RAM :)

my actual Emby server is a Dell R710 with Dual Xeon X5570's 48GB of Ram, 2x15k 146GB sas drives in Raid 0 for the OS/App's and 6x10k 900GB SAS drives in RAID5 for Emby to use for transcoding/metadata/cache etc.  This one I just got is simply for storage and media ingestion nothing else.  It can handle between 6-10 transcode sessions simultaneously.

crashkelly

Asked about shipping to Canada about a week ago and never got a response :(

JeremyFr79

hmm weird....they got right back to me on my issue I ran into.  I dunno.......

crashkelly

hmm weird....they got right back to me on my issue I ran into.  I dunno.......

Neither do I, but I will be trying again ;)

• Like 1

JeremyFr79
post-500-0-77227300-1433390099_thumb.jpg

Alright so here it is in the Rack, The Dell above it is my dedicated Emby Server.  It does Emby and nothing else.

post-500-0-77227300-1433390099_thumb.jpg

Edited by JeremyFr79
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
MrWebsmith

well.. im joining the fray here... i have a new toy that im planning out the best use for in my setup

new incoming box

dell r910 4U server.. 4proc(32cores)/64gb/etc

at the very least im gonna look to replace my current emby server/sab/sb/cp/metabrowser appservers (and likely my..*cough* plex box).. probably onto separate vms (emby and the downloading/meta should be separate i think)

think i should stick with esxi?  (likely vms will run mostly windows, maybe some linux vms)

wondering if i should try out proxmox?  @@fantaxp7 i know you'll have an opinion here lol

all media is still going to remain on my unraid boxes.. 22tb now for movies/music and 27tb in tv content.. i have issues..

fantaxp7

well.. im joining the fray here... i have a new toy that im planning out the best use for in my setup

new incoming box

dell r910 4U server.. 4proc(32cores)/64gb/etc

at the very least im gonna look to replace my current emby server/sab/sb/cp/metabrowser appservers (and likely my..*cough* plex box).. probably onto separate vms (emby and the downloading/meta should be separate i think)

think i should stick with esxi?  (likely vms will run mostly windows, maybe some linux vms)

wondering if i should try out proxmox?  @@fantaxp7 i know you'll have an opinion here lol

all media is still going to remain on my unraid boxes.. 22tb now for movies/music and 27tb in tv content.. i have issues..

Nice!

I have used both esxi and proxmox. I use proxmox because we use it at work. Both are good. I prefer proxmox after having used it longer, it being open source and is very easy to use. proxmox has zfs built into it now which is awesome, though I know you are happy with unraid. Just a good option should you want to try it one day. 

I don't have a clear cut "this one is better because" answer for you unfortunately. But I think your headed into the right direction with having separate VM's for your services. Helps to isolate issues and if there are any crashes or vulnerabilities it will be only on that VM. 

There are some limitations with esxi if I remember correctly with the ram, so keep that in mind.