Server: Auto-detect REPACK, PROPER, REAL during auto-organize

CubexDE

CubexDE

I have the option disabled under auto-organize that replaces existing episodes if a duplicate is found because I want the chance to review the match and make sure it really is a duplicate and not just a misnamed file or whatever. It also gives me the chance to compare the two files and see which one I like better (on a side note, it would be nice if the auto-organizer could give me an at-a-glance comparison of the new file vs. the existing file [resolution, filesize, bitrate, etc.] to help me decide if I want the new file or if I want to keep the old one).

However, it would be nice if I could allow the auto-organizer to replace existing episodes automatically ONLY when the new episode filename contains REPACK, PROPER or REAL in the name, which implies that my existing episode is probably incorrectly encoded or not the correct episode and the new one will fix that. So, instead of this:

☑ Overwrite existing episodes

It would look something like this:

☑ Overwrite existing episodes
    ☑ Only if new episode contains REPACK, PROPER or REAL

P.S. It would also be nice if a checkbox existed that would tell the auto-organizer to delete files containing "sample" in the filename. I know the "Minimum file size" feature is kinda supposed to take care of this, but it kept deleting episodes when I was downloading short webisodes and extras from YouTube that were around 10 MB or less sometimes, so I typed "1" in the box and now all the samples get organized as normal episodes and result in the duplicated episode error.

chef

+1 here. I remember metabrowser would handle this type of sorting. It would be great to have this in the server.

Edited by chef

ginjaninja

if you havent tried sonarr yet..you should do..it will handle proper/real/repack fetches automatically.....

how does a non proper/real/repack find its way into your auto organise folder after an original has passed through...perhaps it is your workflow that needs a tweak rather than emby?

• Like 1

CubexDE

I use Catch on a Mac to auto-download new episodes of my shows. Sometimes the feed includes the first release of an episode, and later a REPACK or PROPER will be put into the feed after the first version gets nuked. There's no way for the program (or me) to know if/when this will happen. New episodes are downloaded so quickly after release that the REPACK or PROPER isn't out yet. By the time it's out, the first version is already sorted by Emby.

All new episodes go into my auto-organize folder and normally that works fine, but when the REPACK or PROPER gets put there it will just sit there and wait for me to deal with it. This option would fix that.

EDIT: If I am manually downloading things (without the use of RSS), I am smart enough to download the REPACK or PROPER from the get-go. It's the use of RSS to download things the moment they are released that causes the issue to occasionally happen (but often enough that it is annoying to deal with).

For example, Saturday night a new SNL episode was released, and Catch initiated the download within 15 minutes of the release. It finished within about 10 minutes and within 15 more minutes it had been sorted into my folders by Emby. About an hour later, a REPACK was released by a different group, and Catch initiated that download. It downloaded successfully and was put into the auto-organize folder, but Emby refused to sort it since it would replace an existing episode.

Edited by CubexDE

ginjaninja

so if catch has the intelligence to trust it to download repacks etc  when required..is there a downside to using the current "overwrite file" option..

or to put the question another way...when would non preferred versions find there way into auto organise after the 1st....wouldnt catch only redownload if it had found a better version?

If you need to manually compare the output of catch to be sure it has indeed downloaded something superior...then no amount of repack/proper keywords will substitute for the proposed manual comparison...

CubexDE

I don't have any issue with Catch's performance, or I would leave the overwrite option on. The problem is that sometimes the scene misnames stuff, like naming a show "Survivorman-Bigfoot.S02E02..." instead of "Survivorman.S06E02..." and Catch can't fix that. I don't want that episode to overwrite Survivorman 2x02 when it should be put under Survivorman 6x02. Another example is American Dad!: the scene seems to think the latest episodes belong to season 11 when in fact they are in season 12, and if I let Emby do its thing they would all overwrite the season 11 episodes.

Also, sometimes my manually downloaded episodes, not initiated through Catch, are poorly named and I have to fix them after the download completes. I don't want Emby to sort them over top of existing episodes until I get a chance to fix them.

I feel like you're really trying to find reasons to fight the implementation of a very simple feature that would help people.

Edited by CubexDE

chef

Something just occurred to me about this.

Edit: If I Create an episode and ten minutes later another version appears with these tags (s01e01) auto organize will sort it and copy over the old version.

Edited by chef

CubexDE

If you've checked the box for the option "Overwrite existing episodes," yes. For reasons stated above I have unchecked this box.

So in effect, emby is to detect your pirated files type and curate this collection for you? Why would emby need to do this? If the auto-organize plugin goes this route then I clearly see hypocrisy afoot. We can't have local trailers auto download, but pirates can have the ability to move clearly pirated files of full movies and tvshows using emby with auto-organize?

If anything, the auto-organize plugin should be removed, or reduced in features as to render it useless for piracy.

See here for rationale:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/2996-Sample-files-getting-treated-as-new-content&do=findComment&comment=108450

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

chef

Downloading pirated movies is against the law, so I would perhaps suggest that we don't carry on down that road in our conversation.

Auto organize will only sort files with particular tags.

over writing files when new ones match the reg ex,

obviously it has its limitations, such as these mentioned above.

Edited by chef

Chef, in case you were unaware, television show downloading is also illegal. Downloading scene releases of TV shows is illegal. Auto-organize is used by pirates in this thread. I suggest we don't go down that road in our conversation.

Ridiculous to debate.

chef

I believe auto organize will also sort recorded TV shows from WMC as well. Will it not?

I am not looking to cause any waves in the clam waters of emby, I am aware of the potential uses of the auto organize function. But inorder to keep competitive in the media market, those functions seem to be nessary. I can see why they are available in the server.

I can see why certain lines of code haven't been added to the setting routine as well. "Repack" and "Sample", could elude to what you are referring too.

I think that the stance of the emby developers is still that they do not condone illegal media sharing.

CBers

I think that the stance of the emby developers is still that they do not condone illegal media sharing.

And yet they allow Emby Connect to exist.

Not criticising, just saying.

From our TOS that covers Emby Connect:

You shall be solely responsible for your own User Content and the consequences of submitting and publishing your User Content on the Website or via the Access Services. You affirm, represent, and warrant that you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to publish User Content you submit;... 
  • Like 2

CubexDE

Are we really debating over piracy here? What does that have to do with my feature request? If you have nothing to contribute and if this feature somehow bothers you maybe you should go visit some other thread. Nobody made you come over here. Did you go to the cliques you didn't like in high school and tell them all how dumb they were and that they should change to be like you, or did you find the kids that were already like you and hang out with them?

If you must know, I own all the content I download via BitTorrent, and downloading copyrighted content via BitTorrent is perfectly legal in my locale provided one already owns the content on physical media. I find downloading it easier than obtaining a blu-ray optical drive for my Mac and trying to defeat copy protection schemes to rip the physical media I already own.

Edited by CubexDE

chef

Are we really debating over piracy here? What does that have to do with my feature request? If you have nothing to contribute and if this feature somehow bothers you maybe you should go visit some other thread. Nobody made you come over here. Did you go to the cliques you didn't like in high school and tell them all how dumb they were and that they should change to be like you, or did you find the kids that were already like you and hang out with them?

If you must know, I own all the content I download via BitTorrent, and downloading copyrighted content via BitTorrent is perfectly legal in my locale provided one already owns the content on physical media. I find downloading it easier than obtaining a blu-ray optical drive for my Mac and trying to defeat copy protection schemes to rip the physical media I already own.

I do apologize for detouring from your original request/issue.

A while ago I built an external program which moved files around, and did some routine maintainance (unzipping, and copy/paste/delete).

I find this helps me keep my files more organized as a step between the file being created and emby organizing it.

It sounds to me that with a couple tweaks of my app, it might be able to help you in This situation, where the names of the files are to similar for the current version of auto organize to figure out.

I was thinking about building a plugin, which would unzip and post process files before the AO gets its hands on it.

Let me jnow if this sounds interesting to you, or think it may help.

Edited by chef

CubexDE

I do apologize for detouring from your original request/issue.

I was primarily responding to "speechles," your replies were fine. Just a little upset that, while I slept, the topic went completely off the subject at hand.

chef

Read my edit above and let me know what you think... My pre sorting app might help, or a plugin pre sorter... Sort of thing <--- like that? Lots of "sorts"!

Edited by chef

Spaceboy

We do it every time. The chat on piracy is not needed. If we are making these requests we know full well what we are opening ourselves up to. Please keep your thoughts to yourselves

• Like 2

CubexDE

That may help with the problem of episodes being named incorrectly or given the wrong episode names, allowing for me to turn the "Overwrite existing episodes" option back on, but it seems like it would be an easy option to add to the server and then wouldn't require any additional software running to accomplish what I need. If the server devs state that they definitely will not add this feature then I'd be willing to talk more with you about making some custom software that processes filenames before the AO handles the files, but if they are willing to add this in then I'd like to just go that route instead. Does that make sense? I'm not turning down your help, I just want to see if the server devs will take my suggestion first. I definitely appreciate your offer.

• Like 1

Since you brought it up, sure, let's discuss your piracy. You've made it clear you are pirating. Nothing to contribute, quite contrary sir, you are a thief. Just frkkin admit it.

The rest of your post is asinine diatribe.

What point does highschool have? Are you on drugs?

PIRACY is illegal. Using the plugin for this purpose condones piracy. Chef is arrogantly blind to this fact?

How much money does emby have to fight copyright infringement? Better be a lot. Why would you want to put developers in this losing position?

And spaceboy, in making a request that condones piracy, you started the conversation regarding piracy. You dont like it? Too bad. Remove your request which causes the response. To pretend its all cool until somebody says "piracy" is retarded. It was a bad idea, and hearing it over and over is the "price you pay".

Auto-organize has its legitimate use, but the moment you make it aware of the "warez scene" by keywords such as: repack, proper, internal, etc you have crossed the line into facilitating piracy.

I would even go so far as to say emby should not ignore samples either. This almost same conversation went over adding samples to be ignored. They made the wrong decision then by condone piracy. What will developers do now?

Basically I'm just trying to protect my investment in this ecosystem. When I hear features such as this may "sneak in" I get in there like a sliver that has to be dug out.

Edited by speechles

CubexDE

This really doesn't concern you, and as mentioned, I am not engaging in anything illegal. Please see yourself out of this thread.

AgileHumor

@CubeDX Sonarr has everything you need for repack and autodownloads of repacks...without you doing a thing.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21166-sonarr-setup-with-emby/?hl=sonarr 

Frankly, the whole overhaul of Auto Organize doesn't seem like a priority ATM while other novel features like Cloud Sync are being actively developed...and other solutions like MediaCenter master will do this just swell (it will only update with a higher bitrate) if you don't want to use Sonarr.

Edited by AgileHumor

Deathsquirrel

Generally speaking the Emby devs won't build in features that are only useful to people downloading content.  They'll do stuff that is ALSO useful to downloaders, but not only.

There's nothing wromg with asking but my experience with this app and this group of devs say you're wasting your time.  Look to another file management solution and just use Emby for playback.