Media Browser 3 Classic / Not playing any files

dreski
Go to solution Solved by dreski,

System:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 4GB RAM

Media Server (Latest re-installed Today)

Media Browser Classic (Latest re-installed today)

Paths - Setup using UNC (Gave everyone full share permissions & NTFS permissions) - Can access/play files locally on HTPC and remotely across the Local network.

History - Upgraded from Media Browser 2.x whatever the latest release of the old version was. I have a UNC path setup with all TV Shows/Movies in structure like below:

\\ServerName\Media\Television

\\ServerName\Media\Movies

etc...

I tried mucking around with the share folder - I created a new folder shared it out created a library from it and copied one TV shows in there and it played. So I copied another TV Show folder in there and it played also. I copied half a dozen more in and I noticed it stopped playing. When you go to click on the play button you get a chime and nothing else.

Also noticed the Android app on my Nexus 7 doesn't play files either - it stalls when selecting the Season for the TV Show.

I did a re-install of Media Browser today and removed the directories for Media Browser under ProgramData and that got it working or so I thought however it quickly stopped playing files again.

I don't know what else to try apart from a full re-install of Windows - which isn't too much trouble. Really would love to get this working, otherwise I'll have to train the wife how to use something else :(....

thanks all.

wow didn't know you could do that. Ok so from another PC I went to the web portal found the TV shows and played one succesfully in the web browser. Tried the same thing on the HTPC and it also worked. So looks like the problem could be with the Media Browser Classic on that PC...

The Android client on my Nexus7 and the Media Browser Classic Client on the HTPC won't play anything but that is at least a start. The Android client just hangs when loading season folders.

There is a lot of metadata files in the Media folders maybe I could make a script up and clear these out then do a rescan of my media folders.

More than likely the problem is permissions or access to the media files.  Please post an MBC log from when you try to play something that doesn't play.

ok so there are errors in the client logs - found them under the client directory in the all users folder C:\programdata

If you want all the client logs let me know - this seemed to be where the .net exception error was thrown when trying to play the video.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2013-11-21 04:33:41.3859,Info,,Internal Player about to play 5 - TV Show Name(\\192.168.1.120\Media\Television\TV Show (2013)\Season 1\TV.Show.S01E01.mkv) ,20,Worker thread for Play Action
2013-11-21 04:33:41.3969,Info,,Internal Player playing 5 - TV Show Name,20,Worker thread for Play Action
2013-11-21 04:33:41.3979,Debug,,Calling MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia,1,Application
2013-11-21 04:33:41.4289,Error,,Error playing item:  ( Exception.  Type=Microsoft.MediaCenter.AddIn.ApplicationControlDisabledException Msg=Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object. Src=ehshell Method=HandleReturnMessage Line=0 Col=0 [n] StackTrace= [n]  [n] Server stack trace:  [n]    at MediaCenter.Extensibility.ExtensibilityAutomation.EnforceApplicationPermission(String method,, Boolean bThrowOnError) [n]    at MediaCenter.Extensibility.ExtensibilityAutomation.Microsoft.MediaCenter.Hosting.Infrastructure.ITargetThreadInvokeMessageFilter.ProcessMessage(TargetThreadInvokeMBRO obj,, IMessage msg) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Hosting.Infrastructure.TargetThreadSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.Hosting.Infrastructure.SinkHelpers.SyncDispatch(IMessageSink sink,, IMethodCallMessage msgMethodCall) [n]  [n] Exception rethrown at [0]:  [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg,, IMessage retMsg) [n]    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData,, Int32 type) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.AddIn.HostControl.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media,, Boolean addToQueue) [n]    at Microsoft.MediaCenter.MediaCenterEnvironment.PlayMedia(MediaType mediaType,, Object media,, Boolean addToQueue) [n]    at MediaBrowser.PlaybackController.CallPlayMediaLegacy(MediaCenterEnvironment mediaCenterEnvironment,, PlayableItem playable) [n]    at MediaBrowser.PlaybackController.CallPlayMediaForPlayableItem(MediaCenterEnvironment mediaCenterEnvironment,, PlayableItem playable) [n]    at MediaBrowser.PlaybackController.PlayPlayableItem(PlayableItem playable) ),1,Application

swhitmore

ok so there are errors in the client logs - found them under the client directory in the all users folder C:\programdata

If you want all the client logs let me know - this seemed to be where the .net exception error was thrown when trying to play the video.

Can you please follow this guide on how to report an error. 

How to Report a Problem

Also check that you have access to the media library on that PC.

Edited by swhitmore

MB Classic version - 3.0.90.B11-3.1  - From Media Browser Classic configuration screen inside WMC

MB Classic Configuration Executable file version - 3.0.5056.18668

Querying the Win32_Product namespace I can see the version is reporting as 3.0.90.0 for "Media Browser Classic"

Interesting though when querying the Win32_Product namespace it looks like a repair install is happening for Media Browser - A known issue when querying that name space with powershell is that it re-evaluates installations and can perform a repair installation if it detects a faulty installation.

Server Verison - 3.0.5070.20258

NTFS FileSystem ACL - Everyone/Full Control (I modified this after it wouldn't play)

Share permissions - Everyone/Full Control

I tried turning off UAC however no effect.

I'm thinking I might just re-image the HTPC.

• Solution

ok so did a rebuild on the HTPC and now it plays using MB Classic 3.0.96.0 B11-19.1 - Can't explain why it wouldn't work before which bugs me, would've loved to pin down what wasn't working however keeping the boss happy when she tries to watch TV is more important than my curiosity.

The Android client isn't browsing every folder however the library catalogue hasn't completed yet so I'll wait and try again later. It is playing ones which have pictures for Season folders however I had to use an external player (MXPlayer).

All in all looks like I won't have to re-train the wife :)

Thanks All.

Edited by dreski
  • Like 1

Got the Android client playing more files - IT seems that it doesn't like to show Season Folders with Episode titles in the following format.

[TVShowTitle].101.[ReleaseName].avi

It does like

[TVShowTitle].S01E01.[ReleaseName].avi

Got the Android client playing more files - IT seems that it doesn't like to show Season Folders with Episode titles in the following format.

[TVShowTitle].101.[ReleaseName].avi

It does like

[TVShowTitle].S01E01.[ReleaseName].avi

Our supported naming conventions are documented.  Not sure how we could interpret "101" as a season and episode.  Is that season 1 episode one or season 10 episode one...?

• Like 2

I'll read through the documentation then - this however wasn't the original Media Browser classic playback problem.

101 = Season 1 Episode 1 and I agree it is not a very descriptive way to format your episodes for a catalogue considering its limitations to 9 seasons before the formatting would change. In any case I've knocked a script up to change the file names for all my media - Most are in the proper format. I just ripped my X-Files DVD Box set in the proper naming convention and no dramas with that either.

Great piece of software guys I'll show my support for this one. Thanks for everyone's help.