Any tips to prevent hard lockups?

MKANET

MKANET

I've had the below symptom for months on both my Samsung Note 2; and, now, on my Samsung Note 4. 

When I watch streamed/transcoded video, sometimes the whole screen will turn black.  I disabled automatic updates for Play Store apps (per a Play Store comment from another person with the same symptom).

I'm guessing if both my phones didn't do anything at all in the background, Emby would keep working without any hard lockups.  Whatever it is, it's not something Media Browser 3 or Emby debug logs have ever been able to detect.  I'm really motivated to figure this out; preferably, by avoid the problem.

Hopefully, someone has had the time figure out the issue.  My guess is it's probably a background app (ie, Touchdown, Facebook, etc).

Thanks in advance

Edited by MKANET

MKANET

I think I may have actually figured out the issue!!! :D  I really dont want to jinx myself by posting too soon; but just couldn't wait to post (since this issue has been going on on multiple devices of mine).

The hard lockups are caused by the AutoRotate application (below) that was trying to force screen orientation.  Emby didn't like it at all.  I'm guessing any applications that manipulate screen orientation is very bad for Emby.  I just selected to use the Android system rotation for Emby.

I hope my post will help anyone else with the same symptom that also may have an application like this installed.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate

• Like 1

lbcreel

Getting alot of hard lockups on the mobile app even after this weeks update.  Disabling auto-rotation did seem to have a positive effect on the number of hard locks I recieved. 

Galaxy S3 SCH-L710

Android 4.4.2