Photo

Will a new CPU fix my issue or is this a fault, opinions welcome, logs, pics attached

cpu playback ffmpeg hardware

Best Answer CBers , 05 May 2015 - 03:35 AM

The ffmpeg process will use all available CPU usage to transcode as quick as possible, unless you have throttling enabled.

My Emby Server PC is a Quad-Core Q6600 2.4Ghz with 8Gb ram and I don't have any issues transcoding to my Now TV and Roku boxes. Slight issues with 1080p videos transcoding to Nexus Player and Amazon Fire TV. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 nagetech OFFLINE  

nagetech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Local time: 08:35 PM

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

I know what you mean. Even with my 8 Core setup, Trying to push more than 4 users is a stretch. I'm confident the developers will find a way to optimize ffmpeg. :) Patience is key everyone! From what I gathered reading around the forums, the there is a dev build with some possible fixes for it already being tested, so a good fix for a more stable and efficient ffmepg is most likely around the corner!

Cheers!

• drashna likes this

#42 drashna OFFLINE  

drashna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Local time: 05:35 PM

Posted 17 May 2015 - 03:20 AM

I know what you mean. Even with my 8 Core setup, Trying to push more than 4 users is a stretch. I'm confident the developers will find a way to optimize ffmpeg. :) Patience is key everyone! From what I gathered reading around the forums, the there is a dev build with some possible fixes for it already being tested, so a good fix for a more stable and efficient ffmepg is most likely around the corner!

Cheers!

Yup, definitely.

But in the meanwhile, it's frustrating. Mostly because Emby is just so freaking awesome. It is by far the best media server I've found, and the entire UI is just absolutely fantastic (and constantly growing better!).
That it has issues with ffmpeg in some circumstances, while the rest of the experience is suburb is what makes it frustrating.

#43 hatharry OFFLINE  

hatharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Local time: 02:35 PM

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:11 AM

Is there a way to transcode audio only and just direct copy the video. If the bitrate selected is equal or greater then the video bitrate. into a different container eg mkv to mp4. it would save alot of cpu when using browsers. At the moment i think it is transcoding h264 to vp9

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cpu, playback, ffmpeg, hardware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users