Usernames no longer accept spaces

strager

strager

Hello,

So all of my usernames are a 2 or 3-word combination. For example you might have "George the Jerk"  or "Lazy Larry". This has worked well since I started using Media Browser/Emby more than a year ago. 

I recently went to add a new user and couldn't create the account. I noticed underneath the username field the following new statement:

Usernames can contain letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), dashes (-), underscores (_), apostrophes ('), and periods (.)

Can we please have the ability to put spaces in user names again? The user names look absolutely stupid and unprofessional with underscores, and names with spaces have always worked fine (and the existing users with spaces continue to work fine). 

strager

I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Restrictions like this belong in the 1990's where they originated from poor coding and limited resources - even Windows allows spaces in usernames now. Display Names are worthless - I don't care how they look to the user themselves - I care how they look in logs, on the dashboard when viewing items, on the login screen, and what the user has to type into the login box - spaces are always better for my users who are not very technical and giving them a simple phrase as a login is much easier for them to remember than something like "george_the_jerk" or "lazy.larry" or what-have-you.