Time to make the move to windows 8?

saajan4u

saajan4u

i'm still using windows 7 for my dedicated HTPC setup where I only use a remote to operate it.

I can see in windows store theres Netflix and other on demand app.

so has anyone managed to master them metro app with a remote yet? I know its doable with a air mouse or a small wireless keyboard etc.

if so can you please help me?

bare in mind I only want to use a remote !

Deathsquirrel

No, the metro hulu and netflix apps are designed for touch and don't work with remotes.  It's incredibly annoying.

We bought a logitech touchpad to make it tolerable but really I want the pc the heck out of my living room.  The remote control support stinks and I cant stand fiddling with a keyboard on my couch.  Bring on an xbox one app.  It works really well with netflix/hulu/amazon...it just needs emby.

• Like 1

AdrianW

There is an AutoHotKey script that makes navigation in the Netflix Win8 app tolerable. See this post on avsforum.

I'm using it, and up/down/left/right, enter and exit all work reasonably well. I still have to grab a mouse to select the 5.1 audio track though. I wish Netflix would have an option to make it always default to the highest quality audio track.

saajan4u

Can't be arsed to fart around too much lol I'm sticking to w7 and Chromecast to Netflix and iPlayer etc.. But that is poor.. Out of millions of people I actually liked the metro especially on the surface.. Guess I might have to join the haters

Koleckai Silvestri

Honestly if you haven't migrated to Windows 8 by now, you might as well just wait for the free upgrade to Windows 10. Rumor is that it will be out in late summer.

• 3 weeks later...
writersblock73

I second the suggestion on waiting for Windows 10.  Windows 10 is supposed to be available through Windows Update, so it can be installed over top of Windows 7.  Don't like it?  Roll back to Windows 7 all the wiser for having tried it.  If the leak from AMD is to be trusted, Windows 10 will be launched in July.  That's really not very far away.