Playback Stops at Random

nagetech

nagetech

Hello everyone!

I have Emby Server 3.0.5582.4 Installed and running. So far everything seems great and I am completely loving this new version of MB (I was an old user way back in the 2.x days).

The issue I seem to be having is that playback of videos just stop for no apparent reason. I have been test streaming files while I am at work (some movies some TV shows) and without rhyme or reason, the playback will just stop. Hitting play/pause does nothing. The only way to correct this is to start the episode from the beginning again.

My server I feel is plenty powerful (dual xeon 16GB RAM)

I hope one of you guys can help out!

What and how do I provide the information you need to help me diagnose and correct this issue?

Thanks in advance everyone!

What is the upstream bandwidth of your internet connection?  At what quality setting are you attempting to stream?  Possible maybe your work network is cutting off video streams?

nagetech

My work network is basically a FIOS router/modem, and I am the only one here. Nothing special here.

My home connect is Cable (Optimum Online) and I believe it is 5mbps up. Right now I am the only user (not like I am competing with anyone else for server resources)

I have uploaded the server log. This log is fresh aka just now the show I was watching stopped. So hopefully you guys can transalte that.

Oh! As far as the quality of the stream, I have emby on "auto"

Server OS is Server 2008 R2.

Let me know if you guys need anything else!

server-63564868443.txt

do you have another browser you can do a test with? it appears the client is failing to periodically check in with the server, so the server is stopping the stream. i will have to do more testing with safari on this.

nagetech

I will gladly test on another browser. If I may ask, where in the logs did you see that? Just asking as I'm technically savvvy and would like to learn about MB as much as I can. Might be useful for diagnosing and not bugging you guys for something that maybe just MAYBE I might figure out!

Thanks for looking into it Luke!

messages like this

App: Transcoding kill timer stopped for JobId 07f56b834ef64728ba0a2b690cd773bd PlaySessionId 6cc7e2648c384978adc172da9735711a. Killing transcoding

we have that in there to cleanup server resources in the event the client goes quiet. 

nagetech

I am now trying the same thing in Firefox for OS X. One thing I can tell you I notice differently right off the bat is that when resuming an episode (I'm testing with the Big Bang Theory) is that the bar (where it tells you where in the file you are) actually shows the correct time point now. In Safari, it would say someting stupid like it was at 32:10 out of 24:01 of the movie file.

Guessing there is a difference with how Safari handles the web interface as opposed to other browsers.

nagetech

It looks like you may have been right. I have made it through 5 episodes without issue. Not once did it stop. So it does look like it is a Safari Issue. I'm guessing there is nothing I can change on my side.

Guess it's one more thing to add to you "To Do" List :)