Linux vs Windows

pt1xoom

pt1xoom

For years I have been running my file server as a Windows Server.  I really don't have a need for a domain, because I have found other ways of sharing files (Owncloud.org) and of course Emby.

Is there an advantage to running Emby on Linux vs a Windows Server?

I have a server that I built with 16 GB of RAM and an AMD A10-6800K quad core 4.1 processor.

Thoughts?

Deathsquirrel

Well Windows is the primary development platform and has the most use as an Emby server so it's the most thoroughly tested.  Unless you just want to play around with running a Linux server or have a personal preference for running the platform, there shouldn't be any real benefit to running it for this purpose.  There's probably no harm either mind you.

hamstercat

It's more of a personal preference, you won't get any advantage (or disadvantage) running it under Linux rather than Windows. I myself host it on Linux Mint and all is going well.

The biggest difference I'd say is that under Windows, auto-updating is handled by Emby itself, where in Ubuntu/Linux Mint it's handled by the OS package manager. Also, symbolic links won't work under Linux.

• 5 months later...
Cerothen

I have recently transitioned from emby on windows to Debian and so far I haven't noticed any real differences. The library is still on windows and is made available through a share as it was on storage spaces and I don't have enough hard drives to switch to something else (zfs). The main reason I decided to switch is I was virtualizing most of the server and wanted to have a separate vm per application and Linux has far less overhead. Ultimately I would agree with hampstercat and say that is about personal preference

Deihmos

Most people running the server on Linux seems to have some issues based on what I see on irc. The biggest issue is the server crashing at least once a day. I have not had any problems with Windows.

Edited by Deihmos

thefirstofthe300

To counter Deihmos, my experience with Emby running Ubuntu 15.04 and Arch Linux, the server has been rock solid stable.  I have never had a random crash.