Two instances of ServerWMC?

shadetree

shadetree
Is it possible, to have different content sources from different systems using ServerWMC on each, into one EMBY server?

Been reading about this for a while and nothing really solid about it but bits and pieces.

I have a WMC7 HTPC with media storage running EMBY, MBC, ServerWMC and a Hauppauge Duel WinTV-HVR-2255 tuner for OTA.  No cable and bearly broadband here in the bush.  The System is brilliantly stable, Thanks to all the passion around here.

The other system “I want to set up” is a WMC7 PC in another building that has a 3.5 meter satellite dish, with a TechnoTrend single DVB-S/S2/4k FTA tuner.

Both systems are on the same LAN. Thinking I need to assign a different port on the satellite PC in ServerWMC.  

Don’t know about EPG or recording issues.  I could just live stream from the satellite for now, if it’s possible.

Thank You for any help.

krustyreturns

Not sure.  I have users who use kodi with two of my swmc addons running simultaneously, each connecting to two different swmc machines.  To make this work they needed to rename one of the addons to trick kodi into thinking it was a different pvr addon.  I have never tried it, but they say it works well enough.  In kodi this makes all the channels from the two different servers show up in a single channel and epg screen, and the recordings are mixed together too. I am not sure if this same trick would work with emby, but I guess that it won't.  If it doesn't work, I agree it would be a nice feature to add - without having to do the ugly hack that kodi requires.

• Like 1

Not sure.  I have users who use kodi with two of my swmc addons running simultaneously, each connecting to two different swmc machines.  To make this work they needed to rename one of the addons to trick kodi into thinking it was a different pvr addon.  I have never tried it, but they say it works well enough.  In kodi this makes all the channels from the two different servers show up in a single channel and epg screen, and the recordings are mixed together too. I am not sure if this same trick would work with emby, but I guess that it won't.  If it doesn't work, I agree it would be a nice feature to add - without having to do the ugly hack that kodi requires.

There's a couple ways we can do it from Emby server. First you need to update the configuration to support multiple instances.

Then you could either handle it all within live tv service, or I create the ability for a service factory where your plugin can report multiple instances of ILiveTvService, with each probably based on an address. The latter of course being easier. So that is the "how", but as far as the if/when, I am not sure how many users would take advantage of this to justify the effort required.

shadetree

I'm thinking as kodi since all the sources will be unique it may not be as much conflict.  I will update this after setting up all the hardware and get going as a stand-a-lone remote pc. 

There's a couple ways we can do it from Emby server. First you need to update the configuration to support multiple instances.

Then you could either handle it all within live tv service, or I create the ability for a service factory where your plugin can report multiple instances of ILiveTvService, with each probably based on an address. The latter of course being easier. So that is the "how", but as far as the if/when, I am not sure how many users would take advantage of this to justify the effort required.

What is needed to update emby config for multi-instances in a way that will not be overwritten with updates as with kodi.  

I'm planing (hoping) to just use the ServerWMC to merge and treat it as just another local tuner thinking this way in WMC, it will be available in MBC.

Yes, as far as users wanting this feature, or a spin off for other remote input sources, that would be the key needed to divert efforts that are already spread thin with all the brilliant developments that has come thus far.  Thanks for even contemplating it. 

• 5 months later...
shadetree

Sorry for the slow update.  Been away from home for some time now, still haven't set up the DVB-S/2 pc or read anything confirming doing this using pci-e cards with two instances of serverwmc.

Nice to see the newer Emby server is able to use networked DLNA tuners, so perhaps the core is there making it to be more feasible now.

Anyway, winter is coming here so the outside hardware will have to wait until spring but will proceed to set up the other DVB-S PC.