Why is viewing Collections different then viewing just Movies on the web interface?

mgworek

mgworek

I am new to Emby so if I am doing something wrong, sorry.

I just created my first Collection that has 150 movies in it. I click on Collections and then my collection.

All the movies comes up in a condensed box instead of filling the screen and they aren't in alphabetical order. You also don't have the option to select a letter like you do with the general Movies section.

I went back to Movies to see if I was just doing it wrong and maybe I can filter the Movies section by a Collection but do not see anything.

Thanks.

you're not doing anything wrong, it's just that the typical use case for a collection is a movie box set, like a Star Wars box set for example. generally those run 10 titles or less. so that's where our efforts with collections have been focused on. you can edit one and adjust your desired title display order. by default it is movie release date, which for a typical movie collection is generally the most desirable.

mgworek

Thanks for the quick response. I grouped all of my Christmas movies into one collection. Would it be better for me to just manually add a Christmas Genre to each movie and filter that way through Movies?

Edited by mgworek

that or in library setup you can just create a separate movie library. if you do the latter you'll also have to go into user preferences to prevent the multiple movie libraries from being combined, which is enabled by default.

mgworek

oh man your metadata manager is awesome. I can go to each movie in my collection and it has Genres expanded and Christmas already inputed. I just need to hit add, save, and go down the list.

So glad I switched over from the dark side. :)

• Like 2

mgworek

If I want to delete a Collection, it gives me a warning.

"Deleting this item will delete it from both the file system and your media library. Are you sure you wish to continue?"

I just want to make sure it is going to delete my movies from the file system.

it won't. the message needs to be adjusted for things like collections and playlsits that have only links to the content

• Like 1