blu-ray ripping for TV Shows

roberthleeii

roberthleeii

I use MakeMKV to rip my movies and it works great for that but It is not that great for the TV-Series ripping. I can't figure out which episode is witch. I use to use DVDFab to rip blu-ray series but now they have gone premium for the blu-ray ripping (still works fine for the DVD riping) I cant figure out how to rip a blu-ray sereies now. how does everyone else do it? 

Thanks in advance for any help.

aspdend

I use Make mkv as well - I find that it sorts the titles in numerical order - the first file is episode 1, the second episode 2 and so on...then I use filebot to rename them

jordy

I use MakeMKV also but after ripping I check the run times against the Disk Cover/booklet to see whats what.

Deathsquirrel

I use Make mkv as well - I find that it sorts the titles in numerical order - the first file is episode 1, the second episode 2 and so on...then I use filebot to rename them

FYI you absolutely can't count on that. The track order is up to the company that masters the disc.  Track 20 might be episode 1 while track 3 could be episode 12.  For many shows the tracks are in order but it's best to double check after ripping.

Edited by Deathsquirrel
  • Like 1

Latchmor

FYI you absolutely can't count on that. The track order is up to the company that masters the disc.  Track 20 might be episode 1 while track 3 could be episode 12.  For many shows the tracks are in order but it's best to double check after ripping.

Yip, I've seen that on dvds too, many times. 1, 2, 3, 10, 5, 6 etc etc. I know the OP is asking about Blu-ray but for DVDs I start playing each Ep in VLC with the Messages window showing debug info filtered by 'b='. Just need to start each one the use the Playback > Title menu to jump back to DVD menu and play the next Ep and you get something like the image below.

Clicking

Ep 6 played Title 2

Ep 7 played Title 4

Ep 8 played Title 6

Title 0 is going back to the menu between each one.

Sounds long winded typed out but it's not, lol, just a couple minutes to fire everything up and start/stop etc. VLC saves that filter so it's there next time you use it. As I said, this is for DVDs but I guess some blu-ray software may display the title you start playing perhaps?

552e959ea4eb8_Capture.jpg

• Like 1

Chris Jones

Good tip about using VLC, i'll try that in the future. So far i use MakeMKV and then manually work out which titles are which episodes. Some series' are all in order but some can be a complete pain. 

roberthleeii

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I used DVDFab was i could rip the entire disk and play it with VLC. VLC does not have great blu-ray support but it would eventually start playing the episodes in the proper order and I would just note the order of the tracks. 

Deathsquirrel

Thanks for all the replies. The reason I used DVDFab was i could rip the entire disk and play it with VLC. VLC does not have great blu-ray support but it would eventually start playing the episodes in the proper order and I would just note the order of the tracks. 

I'd recommend against that.  Disc-based formats for streaming media are dying and so is support for playing them.  Every time this topic comes up EBR posts something to that effect.  Stick with containers like MKV or MP4.

It's a pain to rip TV from disc compared to movies from disc, but it's worth it.  Just BACK THAT STUFF UP.  You don't want to repeate the process, I promise.  From experience.

roberthleeii

I'd recommend against that.  Disc-based formats for streaming media are dying and so is support for playing them.  Every time this topic comes up EBR posts something to that effect.  Stick with containers like MKV or MP4.

It's a pain to rip TV from disc compared to movies from disc, but it's worth it.  Just BACK THAT STUFF UP.  You don't want to repeate the process, I promise.  From experience.

I only use the whole disk rip to identify the right tracks. When i know the right tracks i point handbrake to them and rip them. 

Deathsquirrel

I only use the whole disk rip to identify the right tracks. When i know the right tracks i point handbrake to them and rip them. 

I used to do the same thing but have found makemkv to be even easier.  It will rip every track to a separate file.  delete te ones I dont want and process the rest through handbarke with qsv encoding.  The combo is faster and easier than the equivalen in dvdfab and handbrake, at least with my settings.