Sorting by Folder Order - Android and Theatre

Newalpost

Newalpost

Greetings....

I have all my ripped movies organised by folder where the folder name is the same as the movie.  In some cases I have several movies in sub-folders under a main folder.  For example:-  Top level folder would be James Bond and then seperate sub-folders for each of the individual movies.

MB3/WMC  seems to handle this no problem.  I have my thumbnails appear as I need and when I get to, for example, the James Bond folder, I can enter this and see the individual movies within.

However, this option doesn't seem to be available within the Android App or Theatre.  All my collection of movies just appears as a flatten list.  Organising by name seems to produce some sort of random ordering.

Now maybe I'm missing something in the Android App or Theatre that would allow me to see my collection the same way as MB3/WMC.  But if not it begs the question of consistency across programs or is it possible that MB3/WMC is no longer being worked on.  Which would be a shame as its really nice and easy to use.

Question therefore is how do I get the Android App or Theatre to show my collection of movies as MB3/WMC does?

Thxs

The latest version of Emby WMC/MBC is consistent with the other apps.  You need to explore the User preferences in the web client.  Search out here and you will find lots of info on that.

Newalpost

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using MBC v 3.0.258, Server 3.0.5569 and the latest Andriod app from just a couple of days back and I installedthe  latest version of Theatre from just a couple of days ago as well.

If I use the Web Browser view of my collection then the sort order appears the same as that shown to me by MBC, which is an alphabetically sorted view by folder name.  If I use the Android App or Theatre then the sort order, which is supposed to be by Name, appears random.

For example, I have the following from my Android App in supposed Name order:-  Lord Of the Rings; Indiana Jones, Alien, Harry Potter; Goldeneye.  There is no display by folders - everything is flattened but still not in order.

I can't see any option in the my preferences that would affect this.  In my Preferences under Display I have none of my top level folders selected to be automatically be grouped. Is there something else I should be looking for?

I'm reluctant to update MBC as it may blow away something that's already working for me.

Thxs

That server is now a couple of releases behind.

You should post a picture of what you are seeing in the android app in the Android forum but realize that the landing page in that app is not necessarily a view of your library folders.

Newalpost

Here's some screen shots.....

This is the dashboard screen - note the panel on the LHS.  This shows my top level folders under Home ->  MKV (for MKV format); Movies (DVD rips) plus others.

5533dedf6e47a_Emby1.jpg

If I click on Home I get this screen... and this is the same view in the Android App under the Library view

5533dfa4b5f38_Emby2.jpg

If I click on MKV in the above screen, I get this below which is the correct ordering by Name, which is my folder names.....

5533e0365fb3d_Emby3.jpg

However, if I click on MKV directly from screen shot one I get this which shows my flattened collection of MKV/Movies in some random order.  This is also what I see in the Android App when I tap on the MKV folder.  I cannot seem to get an the Android Appm the screen shot above, which is what I'd like

5533e107689ee_Emby4.jpg

Thxs

You need to update to the latest version of the server which adds new user preference settings to control this. The settings will then be carried with you to each app.

Newalpost

I hear what you're saying Luke, but a previous reply indicated that there was consistency of views across the platforms anyway - this currently isn't the case for me.  I'm always reluctant to upgrade because of the fear of getting other problems.  This view problem didn't exist for me a couple of generations back.  

So how can I be sure that upgrading the server will fix my problem and not break it so that even MBC doesn't give me the correct sorting or even introduce other problems.

Thxs

Deathsquirrel

So install a test copy of the server in a VM and test the offered solution.

A lead dev of the solution told you you had to upgrade to get what you wanted.  There isn't some higher authority to appeal to that you need to be waiting on.

Newalpost
A lead dev of the solution told you you had to upgrade to get what you wanted.

I updated the server and didn't get what I wanted.

The Andriod App still cannot sort my collection by folder name.  The new server presents an option to select folders but this just provides the same old flat view of all my collection not sorted correctly.

When using a web browser to access the server the the previous method of selecting (my example as above) Home > MKV now presents a flattened view of my collection (4th image) whereas the previous revision worked as I wanted as shown in my earlier post (3rd image)

Using the web browser and selecting Folders then MKV does display the folders correctly sorted.

Theatre has a similar problem still.  Selecting MKV displays a flattened view of every movie I have (as image 4).  Selecting Folders then MKV gets it right(as image 3)

Fortunately MBC still works the same way which correctly sorts my folders as image 3

Close but no coconut - ;)

Newalpost

Hi Luke....

Just to note - the problem seems to exist for both MKV format files and for Video_TS format movies.  The Sort Order is set to Name  - Ascending

If you look at image 3 above it sorts the movies Alpha-numerically ignoring words like 'The'.  Folders containing more than one movie only appear once

If you look at image 4 above there is no apparent logic - to me - in the ordering.  The first thumbnail 'The Darling Buds of May' is followed by an extracted thumbnail from a single episode from a multi-episode disk (MKV format for each episode)

Then 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' (L), 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' (I), 'Alien' (A), 'Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone' (H)  and so on.

For image 4 every movie file I have is shown and not just the higher level folder.

Now, I've just tried something else.  In the Web Browser if I click on my MKV collection then the ordering is incorrect.  If I then click on 'A' in the # to Z list on the RHS, the ordering is correct from 'A' onwards, although the collection is flattened.  By which I mean I may have one folder with more than one movie in it - for example the structure may be:-

MKV >

Back to the Future >

Back to the Future I .mkv

Back to the Future II .mkv

Back to the Future III.mkv

In this case each movie is displayed seperately.  In MBC or the Folders view the folder 'Back to the Future' is only shown.  I can then enter this to see the three individual movies.

In the Android App although the # to Z list briefly appears once I can't seem to find it by choice.

Hope this helps

Happy2Play

Image 3 and 4 are two totally different views.  3 is folder view and 4 is enriched view.  So of course they will have different views.

Have you looked at "View Styles" in "My Preferences" to make them both the same?

5536992526433_ViewStyles.jpg

Newalpost

Thanks for the tip but I have no folders selected for rich presentation.  Even so it shouldn't get the sort order wrong.

5537afb444bb3_Screenshot.jpg

Newalpost

Thanks Luke....

Remember though that the problem also exists in some views in Theatre and the Web Client

Thxs