Emby for Kodi - Tags & Smart Playlists?

stueeey

stueeey

Hi all,  feeling a little lost with regards to my setup and the direction this addon is going, so have posted some queries below...  (hope thats ok)

as I understand it the Emby Kodi addon uses the 'Tags' feature in order to see, separate and access Emby collections/folders from within Kodi...  (ie. my collections/folders for example are Movies, 3D, Tv Shows)

This is great and works fine, love it...   However as a previous user of standalone Kodi DB  (before Emby)  I loved using the Kodi Smart Playlist feature that also used 'Tags' to create smart playlists.  (I used mediaelch to create the .nfo tags)

Now that I'm using Emby addon it seems that my .nfo tags are no longer accessible (presumably Emby takes priority)  ie.  I can no longer create my own Smart Playlists from my tags within Kodi, is this correct?  is there another way to access/create these?

Conscious that the Emby Server doesn't have  'Smart Playlist'  features implemented yet...  so just wondering if there is anyway I can enable smart lists other than creating them manually within Emby?  Even then I don't think the Kodi Emby Add-on as yet can see playlists?

I previously used Kodi as a standalone App and used Emby to essentially organise my metadata,  interested to know what settings i should now be using for my Emby Server, now that I'm testing the Kodi Emby beta Add-on...  should I still be 'adding' artwork to folders  (Server >metadata >basics) and saving to .nfo?

realise it's still early days and I may be getting ahead of myself... but just wondering where its heading and how I should implement my Kodi / Emby settings so they work really well together. 

thanks for the great work !

• 2 months later...
Tragic

I'll give this a bump as I am trying to figure out the same thing. Devs do say you can use tags in Kodi but I can't seem to figure out how to get Kodi to see this / how to set it up. 

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Tags or Video nodes. You can create smart playlists using tags as a rule or you can just point your home menu to the Video nodes (you can see them by launch Emby, or simply opening the Videos home menu). Hope this sends you in the right direction. :)

Tragic

Saw your update as I was typing. I did manage to solve it, not immediately obvious as someone who came from Kodi so i'll put my thoughts here for anyone else that comes across this.

In Emby when you create a collection it will be assigned a tag. So for me I split out my Anime collection from normal TV and documentaries. When I imported them into Emby I setup these collections as part of the import. 

To get this working at a level you can link on in Kodi you can create a smart playlist and set "tag is <name of emby collection>" Once the smart playlist is created you can link to it in your skin of choice.

I also noted you can add your own tags using Emby if you do so wish.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
tired dad

Saw your update as I was typing. I did manage to solve it, not immediately obvious as someone who came from Kodi so i'll put my thoughts here for anyone else that comes across this.

In Emby when you create a collection it will be assigned a tag. So for me I split out my Anime collection from normal TV and documentaries. When I imported them into Emby I setup these collections as part of the import. 

To get this working at a level you can link on in Kodi you can create a smart playlist and set "tag is <name of emby collection>" Once the smart playlist is created you can link to it in your skin of choice.

I also noted you can add your own tags using Emby if you do so wish.

Thank you SO MUCH!  I was trying to figure out how out do this and yours was the first post I found.