programdata Windows compatibility

Dan64

Dan64

I have setup a NAS server running on Debian 8. The server is used to share the media folders and also is used as Emby server (Version 3.0.5572.0). I'm very happy about Emby server for Linux, but I'd like to setup a backup server running on Windows 8.1. I could easily do that sharing the same media folders. But I'd like to know if the 2 servers can share also the same "programdata" folder. I know that the Windows version require the IBN folder while the Linux version is using the metadata folder. But besides that, there are others differences ? It makes sense to share the same "data" folder ? Any suggestion is welcome.

Edited by Dan64

gsnerf

I would not recomment that. Even if there are no differences in the structure of the folder you will most propably run into problems when two instances of emby try to access the same files at the same time. That is to say for all database files as well as temporary files, metadata scans etc. You could backup these files on a regular basis and overwrite the backup instance with that, but I don't think anything beyond that is a reasonable way to go.

Edited by gsnerf