Is anyone here using Sling TV?

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hi guys,

I just came across this website today and I have been doing some research. Sling TV looks like it's pretty good for what I am looking for. They offer the only channels I can't get via my antenna that have shows I do watch that I have to get elsewhere currently.

It doesn't allow you to DVR any content, so that may be a problem for me on a few shows.

I am curious if anyone here has been using it and if so, what has your experience with it been like so far?

Thanks,

-Jason

I tried it out. It's really buggy. Lots of buffering even on a fast connection. And what's worse, the playback stops entirely rather than degrading in quality. Also the apps themselves are very buggy as well. Roku performs better than desktop windows, which shouldn't happen but it's probably a sign of  market share between the two apps and where they're focusing resources. But even though it performed better, I still kept having to exit the app and come back in due to numerous random problems.

Having said that, they will inevitably resolve these issues and I'm sure the service will be attractive for many people. It just looks like they might have launched it a little too early.

I cancelled my DirecTV service after almost 20 years with them earlier this year with an eye towards using Sling when Football season starts back up (for access to ESPN - everything else I can get via OTA through Emby).

I hadn't actually signed up yet though so, hopefully, by Fall, they'll have the kinks worked out.

jasonmcroy

Thanks guys.

I think it's a good point that the software isn't very mature yet, so with time it should get better. I am also sure some other companies are going to jump in as well. I can see the evolution of TV going fully internet based eventually. I notice that CBS now has an "All Access" plan now. I haven't looked into it too much since I have OTA PVR set up so I don't need that service.

Yes, I really like the Live Sports feature via ESPN. I think TNT also does a lot of live sports broadcasting if I remember correctly.

I am getting ready to move soon and when I am settled into the new place I am going to give there free trial a go as well.

-Jason

Koleckai Silvestri

Have been waiting for the service to solidify myself. Also hoping they get some NBC/Universal (USA, Syfy, Chiller, etc...) channels on the service. However since NBC/Universal is owned by Comcast, I don't know if that will happen. 

• Like 1

techywarrior

I'm certain that the other cable channels will start do to internet TV because more and more people are skipping commercials and people are more willing to binge watch shows or at minimum delay 30 minutes in order to avoid commercials while still being able to discuss at the water cooler the next day. But with internet TV they can control the ability for people to skip commercials and also tailor them more specifically to the customer. As traditional advertising revenue slows down they will realize they are better off streaming the shows.

futrader8

I tried the one week free trial and it was ok.  I didnt have the buffering issues that some people talk about on my Roku 3 and the picture quality seemed to be pretty decent.  My only gripes about the service is audio is PCM only, no DD 5.1.  You can only watch Sling on one device at a time.  If they can improve the audio to surround sound and let you watch on at least two devices at once (a la Netflix), then it might be a pretty decent service.

futrader8

PCM can be multi-channel.  Does it truly support PCM or only stereo?

That I can't answer for sure.  My Onkyo receiver displays audio as PCM even if it is only receiving 2 channel stereo.  I dunno.  My guess is that Sling TV is outputting as 2.0.  

Edited by futrader8

jasonmcroy
I came across the same link in my research. If they get some method of having PVR capability I would look into it. As it is now, I rarely watch live TV. I always record everything that I watch via OTA and just watch it later and shows I can't get via OTA I use other methods.

-Jason

trooper11

While some of the other SlingTV apps are unstable, I have to say the X1 app is very stable.  I have yet had the app actually crash and it has kept a stable connection.

I like the service, but I need them to add a couple networks to really convince me. Also, a DVR option would be nice.  Combine that with an OTA tuner and my X1 is nearly complete as my entertainment hub.

• 1 year later...
Chillout

Sling TV recently announced a 'Beta' options allowing up to (3) consecutive streams although it seems like they dropped ESPN and replaced it with Fox Sports.

About (10) people I know use Sling TV and everyone have been happy with the service.  It doenst have DVR features but it will let you rewind any channel up to 24 hours.

If Emby could integrate with SlingTV as a front-end and allow a unified interface I would definitely sign up and drop WMC for live TV.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dish-network-beta-launch-sling-162004606.html;_ylt=A0LEVzPCXBFXK5cAmolXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExb2dlZTF1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDREZENl8xBHNlYwNzYw--

"The multi-stream plan will be anchored by Fox channels like FX cable channel, Fox’s regional sports networks, including the YES Network, and Fox’s broadcast stations in 17 markets and National Geographic, along with optional add-ons like A&E, HBO, EPIX, Univision, Scripps Networks Interactive, AMC Networks and Turner Networks channels.
The new version, however, does not include ESPN or other Disney channels, which are the crucial programming features of the prevailing Sling TV service. Meanwhile, consumers can still subscribe to the previous version of Sling TV, which costs the same."
Edited by Chillout

It can't. Best we can do is launch the program. ESPN is a really big loss though, if that's true.

I use Sling - although, I use it pretty much just for ESPN so I guess I better check out what's going on there...

I doubt there will be any options for integration with us but I guess we can hope :).

Koleckai Silvestri

The beta is a separate package from the original they have offered for the last year. If you have ESPN now, you will still have it. 

The Multi-Stream option is that it carries local broadcast affiliates for Fox in several major cities. It was a big push to get Fox on the service so they can negotiate multiple streams with other distributors like Disney (who owns ESPN). Expect the price to increase though. ESPN is one of the most expensive channels on cable.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

naeonline

I used SlingTV during January for college football bowl games and playoffs.  I just used my slingtv login on ESPN instead of going through the slingtv app and it worked better.  Their website still shows ESPN and ESPN2 on the normal base package.

• 1 year later...
tyr_88

I have it now it is excellent both color packs $40 all the channels you want and watch on premium junk - the 800 bloat channels at 3rd of the price

no lag - on 100mb fiber, Emby Server, 3 TVs 3 phone connected, this my desktop as well so work and everything else it chews up with no hitch even during encoding scans

the quality is crisp HD

Tons of on Demand

$5 - 10 addon bulk packs think sports was 15 channels or 10 for $10 more

Sadly I thought it was supported for browser at least