Problems viewing subtitles

virtualtinker

virtualtinker

Server version 3.0.5572.0.

Media in question is an mkv file created by Handbrake.  The subtitle track is contained in the mkv container and was pulled by handbrake directly from the ripped blu ray files when the mkv was encoded.

Whenever, I try and play a movie I created via Handbrake, in this case Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I can't get the subtitles to play correctly when viewing via the web client.  The different audio tracks in the mkv file work fine, only the subtitle track is giving me grief.  If I open the same file via VLC, I am able to bring up the subtitle track with no problems.

Attached are the logs where I tried to view the movie after enabling debugging and did a fresh restart of the server.

Let me know if there's any other information I can provide.  Thanks!

server-63564387174.txt

can you provide a sample video? i tested this today with an mkv with bluray subs and it worked fine, so i don't really have much to go on right now.

virtualtinker

I used mkvmerge to split off about 1 minute from the beginning of the movie.  I uploaded this in place of the movie and ran it in the web client, confirming that I am not getting subtitles when the guy at the end is swooning for Li Mu Bai, and also confirmed that if I run it in VLC, the subtitles are showing as I would have expected.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bif5pa9ejmv4qgf/Crouching%20Tiger%2C%20Hidden%20Dragon%20%282000%29%20subtitle%20issue.mkv?dl=0

srdjan

I also have trouble with MKVs with embedded subtitles (they all have English CCs). VLC is playing files just fine, but no Emby client can display subtitles. With web client, I see option to turn on ENG subs, but nothing happens. With Roku client, I can select ENG subtitles before I start playing the movie, but there are not subtitles displayed, and, when I press '*' button, captions option says 'Captions not available'.

What I can do to figure it out?

i reproduced it with your sample video. i have not had a chance yet to deep dive and find the problem.

keep in mind, this only pertains to internal graphical subtitles. text-based subtitles are fine. and this doesn't affect all graphic subs because i have some other test videos that are working.