Restore Server Config to Win 7

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

hello, i currently have mbs set up on a win8.1 box and i'm looking to move it to a dedicated new pc i built using a spare win 7 licence. in this circumstance restore does not seem to restore users and playstates. it restores config and plugins etc but not the users. is this expected? can anything be done? cheers.

not sure what logs may be needed as presume the restore is on the penultimate log?

SilentAssassin

Are you using the Server Configuration Backup plugin? Did you configure it to backup your Emby users and playstates, not sure what is set by default.

Spaceboy

Yes chose all the right options and I've used the backup and restore a number of times successfully between win 8.1 installs even onto a build on my synology. But unsuccessful going to a win 7 install

The OS should have no impact here.  The server versions, however, may.  Are you restoring to a different server version than the one you backed up?

There is both a backup and restore log in the folder with the backup.

Spaceboy

no, both are running Version 3.0.5572.0 although the source server was once on the dev branch. restore log is attached but there are no clues, no mention of the users. also the server never actually restarts, it just starts a library scan

Edited by Spaceboy

Well I was expecting to see an error but there isn't one.

What users are defined on the target server?  What are their exact names.  It seems as if it is just going off into the weeds when we attempt to get a list of the defined users.

Spaceboy

just one called Media Server, i was going to delete this once i'd imported the three from the source.Media Server was created when i initialised mbs

Can you show me a screen cap of the restore screen just before you hit the Restore Now button?

Spaceboy

Any further thoughts or any manual way to get around it? It's rather stalled my efforts to move my mb3 install to a dedicated pc and this is a one off job

Try doing it  piecemeal to see if we can isolate the issue.  Deselect everything except the users to restore and try it.  If that works, then just do the user data.

Spaceboy

ok, the problem is located. did just users and still no go, then went user by user, the problem is user Mums House. Now looking at this the clear difference is that Mums House has a space in the name and i remember that emby made me call it Mums_House initially but i was able to rename it to remove the _. so it seems that the server backup plugin doesn't support user names with a space in the name.

Hope this is helpful!

I don't think it is the backup plug-in per se I think it is the actual core server that has a problem with them.

Thanks for nailing it down.

Spaceboy

So really we shouldn't be allowed to make this change, or have a system name and a friendly display name?