Running an Emby server 24/7 on a server?

Nefferel

Nefferel

Hi, Sorry for such a silly question, I'm relatively new to all this stuff and just recently learned about media browsers in general such as this one (which is my favorite, I love the interface).

I am looking to run my Emby server 24/7, without running it through a PC. Is this possible with this software? I was looking into NAS devices and wondering if this worked? And with which devices. I was hoping to buy a NAS device, a 2x2 TB one, to store media on, where they can be browsed by everyone in the house, and use the emby interface and apps on their devices. I hope this makes sense, sorry if its been asked before. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it very much! Thanks. 

I did notice the NAS download link and was just curious as to how it worked.

Macburp

You should have a look at the server forums before making a decision, however I can tell you that in general NAS devices don't have the cpu power to run emby server when files need to be transcoded. Do you not have a pc in your network that could be left on? You can run a client on it too.

trusselo

what happens when you fill those 2 drives?

you are better off building a server to be a NAS... an expandable NAS.

80$ mobo

80$ quad core

50$ 4 Gig ram

50$ PSU

40$ crap case

300$ server plus HDDs

about the same cost of any decent NAS device.  and you arent limited to 2 drives, only to the number of SATA ports the mobo has without adding PCI cards to add more Sata/and/or RAID ports

or check out craigslist or kijiji or whatever is in your area for a used machine.

I just picked up an HP DL360 G5 rack server with

2 quadcore CPUs

dual redundant PSUs

16GB of DDR2 ECC Server memory

all for 175$ and it looks mint. not even dusty. came out of a bank.

add HDDs and go. thats not even my media server.

I built my MB server out of parts that got upgraded out of my gaming rig, only had to buy a PSU.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1