Which system to choose for Emby?

youl94

youl94

Hello,

I use Ubuntu as a server system, since the transition to 'Emby' (v 3.0.5569) it no longer works with Ubuntu .. a fruitless search of the week.

My question, what is the system used for the development or the one with which there will be no compatibility problems as Ubuntu has .. because each update or almost there is always something that not going ..

At first sight, we have to use windows server, for stability? Paid licence system for that and  all these exe and dll it's scary: '(and the wiki recommends all systems: / but it's not possible ..

Beardyname

Without any additional information I'm afraid i can't help you, what does "no longer work" Does the server crash all the time? does it refuse to startup? etc

youl94

Actually, I need restart service 2 or 3 times before I can connect.
And when I launch a video, the transcodage work in log files, but no playing with webclient or vlc or kodi or samsung tv :/... no detectable error in log files..

I'm tired to search why since 2 weeks..

I follow this thread, http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19955-emby-crashing-ubuntu-server/page-2

but no solution for me..

So I looking to make a new installation, but I think that Ubuntu isn't the better choice for Emby Server, it's just my experience. But, I love Ubuntu I work with it since 10 year..

So, my question is simply : do you know if Windows is a better choice to make an Emby Server? if not, what is it the better choice?

I use Proxmox Hypervisor for virtualise my system.

thefirstofthe300

I have heard from others that were affected by the Ubuntu weirdness that switching to CentOS relieved them of all of their problems.

thefirstofthe300

I am biased as I am an all out Linux guy. I find Windows to be too unstable for my taste. [emoji14] :)

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

Thank you for the reply. I will try it.

But no comment for windows ?

Well Windows is the primary dev platform for the product but you can certainly run it instead if you wish.  It gets the most testing since it has the largest userbase.

thefirstofthe300

Yes ! me too , so I hesitate to mount server with windows :o :o

Ahh. Another Linux geek! I am so excited.  :lol:

As far as a distro to run, I have been running emby on an Arch box with Mono 3.10 and have not had a problem with instability.

youl94

Thank you for your answers.

For me the problem of "Windows" is that the limited possibility to mount my box of remote media Linux. I use SSHFS and I have good results with transfer rates, better than a vpn ipsec or similar.

I'll test 2 Emby box, one under Archlinux and the other under Centos. I'll keep that in Ubuntu for future tests, because I still prefer this system and its very active French community.

I would return on my tests.

spootdev

I moved from Xubuntu to Centos for my emby server and have had MUCH better luck with it.  Faster and more stable (running on same hardware via VM).