Not ignoring "the"

Thrakius

Thrakius

Is there a way to make the server not ignore the prefix?  Example:  The Big Bang Theory listed as starting with T instead of B

We already do unless your metadata has it's own SortTitle or SortName defined, in which case, we use whatever is in that field as-is.

Thrakius

I must have done something then ;)  My PS3 still displays The big bang theory after Arrow.  Would it be the PS3 doing that or did i change something in the server by mistake?

first thing to do is look at the web interface and see if it's consistent there, then update the metadata from the web interface if you need to

Thrakius

Must be something with the metadata.  The strain lines up as T but The big bang theory still lines up as B.  I'll try to figure this out ;) 

Logos302

did you ever use or still use MEdia Center master.  It had or has (not sure if it's been fixed, haven't used it in a while to check) that it would put in "wrong" information in the metadata files.  

Thrakius

did you ever use or still use MEdia Center master.  It had or has (not sure if it's been fixed, haven't used it in a while to check) that it would put in "wrong" information in the metadata files.  

Nope, but it's only TBBT that does that, like i said "The strain" is sorted in the T section not S.  For some reason TBBT lines up in the B section.  I can't figure out why.

Deathsquirrel

Do what Luke said.  Chaexk the metadata manager in the server UI and see if there is data in the relevant fields.  For the overall show names appearing out of order selectthat show and check the Sort Name field.  Seasons have both sort name and season number fields.  Episodes have sort name, season number, episode number, and the three extra fields for alternate episode numbers.

Your metadata is almost certainly messed up with the server doing precisely what it's been told.

AdrianW

Your metadata is almost certainly messed up with the server doing precisely what it's been told.

Looking at my setup for The Big Bang Theory (mine sorts in the "B" section which is where I want it) - but in the metadata the title is "The Big Bang Theory" and the sort name field is blank.

I think that somewhere the code is actually dropping the "The" and "A" prefixes. Probably to get this show to sort into the "T" section, you'd have to set the sort name to "The Big Bang Theory".

Deathsquirrel

Right, it ignores articles like 'the' when alphabetizing.  That's pretty standard when alphabetizing anything.

Koleckai Silvestri

Nope, but it's only TBBT that does that, like i said "The strain" is sorted in the T section not S.  For some reason TBBT lines up in the B section.  I can't figure out why.

The Strain is in S for me. Followed by Supernatural. Other shows starting with The ignore that word. "The Americans", "The Blacklist", "The Flash", "The Last Man on Earth", "The Last Ship", "The Librarians", "The Musketeers", "The Night Shift", "The Red Road".  However I prefer this method. If I copy the name of the show into the Sort Name, they move to the appropriate location in the list and "The" is respected.

Deathsquirrel

The Strain is in S for me. Followed by Supernatural. Other shows starting with The ignore that word. "The Americans", "The Blacklist", "The Flash", "The Last Man on Earth", "The Last Ship", "The Librarians", "The Musketeers", "The Night Shift", "The Red Road".  However I prefer this method. If I copy the name of the show into the Sort Name, they move to the appropriate location in the list and "The" is respected.

Sure, that's what the sort title field is for.  Most people expext to find The Big Bang Theory under B.  If you want anything else you can specify using the sort field.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Sure, that's what the sort title field is for.  Most people expext to find The Big Bang Theory under B.  If you want anything else you can specify using the sort field.

That is what the original poster wants. He wants The Big Bang Theory under T.

Deathsquirrel

That is what the original poster wants. He wants The Big Bang Theory under T.

Oops, but at least I wasn't the only one misreading that.  OK then, put The Big Bang Theory in the sort field and never let a librarian see what you've done.  They'll smack you in the back of the head.

• Like 1