Choose custom bitrate from web interface

darkNiGHTS
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

darkNiGHTS

Sorry, I don't know where to put this, I didn't see a subforum for the web interface.  :ph34r:

When watching live TV from a networked PC, watching at 1 mbps 720p = zero stuttering. The next higher quality option is 2 mbps 720p = stuttering, unwatchable. Now, I'm sure there's some sweet spot in the middle somewhere, but where are the preset resolutions that I can choose from stored? I'd like to delete the other options and add 1.2, 1.4, etc.

Thanks for the help.  B)

• Solution

it's in javascript and you're right, that's a big gap. we'll look at it for the next release.

darkNiGHTS

it's in javascript and you're right, that's a big gap. we'll look at it for the next release.

Thanks for the response. I found the file you were referring to (%AppData%\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\dashboard-ui\scriptmediaplayer.js) and was able to try some different resolutions. Maybe there could be a section in the dashboard where bitrates are defined? I'm sure lots of people would like to get rid of 1080p because their server can't handle it. Or if they watch on 4G a lot, a lot of low bitrate options would be useful.

EDIT: Woah, Emby's bitrates are done extremely strangely. For one, as noted in the file, it's keyed by bitrate so you can't have two defined bitrates at different resolutions. Second, and the one that causes the most problems, you can't choose a higher bitrate on a lower resolution. For example, If I add an option for 1.2mbps 480p, I can't actually choose it. If I try and select it, it automatically puts it on 1mbps 720p. Very strange. 480p works up to 1.5mbps flawlessly on my computer whereas 720p only works at 1.0mbps or lower. I ended up deleting all 720p options to get the 480p ones to work.

Edited by darkNiGHTS

Well done. And yes, perhaps one day they'll be configurable. In the meantime we'll just add more selections.