Transcoding Temp Files not purging

legallink

strugglez

What if it wasn't "stopped" but the tv was just turned off? Because I do that. Anyway, currently there is no one watching anything and I have 4 or 5 files there at 1.5gb each and I know the list is just going to grow until I restart the server or manually delete them.

If you just turned the tv off and left it going, then eventually the movie would be over and then they'd get cleaned up.

strugglez

Oh, I mean, I use the TV app so when I turn the TV off it stops the transcoding I would imagine? but the files are just left over still from it. So I don't know what is going on.

Edited by strugglez

If the app is still running then that would explain that, but eventually the movie will finish and it will get cleaned up.

if the video stops normally they are cleaned up immediately. if it stops abruptly due to something like an app crash or force closing the app, then within a few minutes the server will detect that nobody is using the stream anymore and it will stop the transcoding and delete the files.

• 4 weeks later...
dirkdigs

i am using emby client on xbox one s. 

my emby server is windows server 2016. 

my transcoding folder is not cleaning out *.mkv files as well in the following path

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\transcoding-temp

is this a bug?

• 1 month later...

Server 3.2.1.0

Clients in use, Android, iOS, Android TV, Roku-Beta, Theater XB1, my transcoding temp folder is empty here no active streams at time of post. Content stored in mp4 or mkv, I do use a custom path for my transcode temp directory to avoid these files writing to my SSD boot drive but just not seeing this problem.

• Like 1

pclausen

Was curious about this myself.  My transoding-temp folder currently contains 6,494 files that add up to 55GB.  They are all dated 2/17/2017 - 2/20/2017.  So it looks like only 3 days worth are retained.

They are all .ts files and vary in size from 24KB to 32MB.

My clients are: HTPC running Emby Theater, Roku 3, Roku Ultra, Apple TV, nVidia Shield.

This is not something recent, my temp folder has been like this for a long time.  Would like to at least cut it down to only retain the last day worth's temp files to clear the space on my boot SSD.

pclausen

I'll take back what I said yesterday about it having been like this for a long time.  Got a low disk space warning this morning and I still had temp files from 2/17.  I manually deleted all temp files from 2/17 - 2/19, leaving just 374 files from 2/20.  No temp TS. files yet for 2/21, which would make sense since nobody has watched anything  yet today.

I don't suppose chapter image extraction or thumbnail creation could be leaving TS. files behind?

I just had emby stop playback on a device, when i checked the server, the 256GB SSD drive that is just for emby cache (transcoding) was full and windows was throwing an error regarding low drive space...

I deleted all the transcoding files and restarted emby.

@@Luke I, just tested playing a movie (that shows direct streaming in the dashboard) and emby is using 17GB of transcoding files (and growing). is that normal?

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, every once and a while I have to remove the temp files when my disk is full.

Today I deleted all files except one can't be deleted "it is open in Emby Server" from a movie that was (not completely I think) watched 3 hours ago.

So I'm assuming this is the problem, the file is in use and can't be deleted until the files pile up and the disk is full where Emby refuses to play files.

There were a lot of files and only one in use, maybe there should be a check when starting a file to cleanup older files when they are not being used to stream to clients.

Guess in meanwhile I'm going to run a batch file to remove all older files.

• 1 year later...
rickdEMBY

@@WEHA, it deletes the files immediately after playback. If you don't feel that this is happening, then please attach an Emby Server log from an example. You can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks !

I would like to ask if EMBY watching Live TV is also supposed to delete these temp transcode files?  I ask since I watch Live TV on the same system as the server and the temp transcoded files do not seem to be managed/deleted ... I have attached the latest server logs... I forgot to back out of the LiveTV for a few hours the other day and today had a 9GB temp file left over...

During live tv playback the buffer in the transcode temp folder will grow, yes, and it is cleaned up when you stop playback. Does that answer your question?

rickdEMBY

Thanks for the quick reply... I would like to know what to check on why this cleanup isn't happening? I may have not clearly stated that on my previous question...

rickdEMBY

Yes I did however I did then exit properly and the next day the large temp file was still sitting in there ... so the server was not minding the temp files and removing them as I assumed would happen.