Chocolate Theme Locks Up

hansolo77

hansolo77

Hey guys, me again.

I've been using Media Browser for a long time, and have always used the NEO theme because I liked the way it was presented, with a random assortment of titles available being shown then scrolled off to another title.  Anyway, with all that's been happening with the EMBY change, I thought I'd go ahead and try and give the default Choclate theme a try.  Well, I like it, and I hate it.  I like the way it looks, and the fact that it's being updated regularly.  I hate it because I can't configure it.  Basically, I went into the TV shows folder, and I had NEO setup to use the Banners display.  In Chocolcate, this came up fine, but the banners were smaller than I liked.  So I went up to the cog and went to the configure option.  I do like the way that menu was displayed, but I couldn't see any changes I had made to the Size option I was adjusting.  Turns out, by simply going into that area of the theme cause the whole thing to lock up.  I had to completely close out of WMC and restart it.  Now whenever I go into Emby, the banners are too big, but as soon as they are displayed, it's completely locked up again.  So now I can't even go into the configuration utility to change the sizes, or even WATCH anything because it's all dead.  I can't control anything with either the remote, keyboard, or even mouse.  I have to completely close WMC again.  I don't think there would be any logs, because visually the program is still running, it just seems to have stopped responding.

Is there anyway to to revert the Chocolate theme back to the way it was before I made changes?  Or, is there a way to go back to the NEO theme which was working ok before? 

I'd really like to get the Chocolate theme working and setup the way I like, but I just can't get anywhere with it when it keeps locking up as soon as I go into a sub-folder.  This happens on TV, Movies, and Channels. 

porkbone

The way to revert Chocolate back to default is open the ProgramData folder then the Mediabrowser-Classic folder. Open the plugins folder then open the Configurations folder and delete the Chocolate.xml file. It will rebuild and reset Chocolate back to the default next time you start Emby Classic.

hansolo77

Any idea why it would lock up?  It even prohibitted me from being able to access the configurator in WMC directly.  I was able to revert back to the NEO theme from the Chocolate EHS though.  I seem to recall having this problem before when Chocolate first came out.  Is it possible that my installation of the theme is somehow corrupted?

This sounds like one of those display issues with WMC that are quite maddening.  Try this:

Go to config and change your theme back to Neo.

Then go to the section where you changed the sizes and make them smaller again.

Then go back into config and change back to Chocolate.  Repeat until it doesn't freeze up.

BTW porkbone's suggestion won't affect this because those sizes are saved at the server level.

hansolo77

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.  :)

hansolo77

Ok I think I got it fixed.  What I had to do (and couldn't find time to do it till now) was uninstall the theme, then reinstall it.  I have a few questions about the theme though and I hope somebody can help me...

1 - Is there anywa to hide the BANNER image from showing in the upper left hand corner when entering a TV shows' season?  Every time I'm looking at my episode list, I see that banner, and it's kinda annoying.

2 - All of my items have a big red OFFLINE banner on them.  Is there a way to turn that off too?

3 - I have my TV Shows setup to be listed using their banners.  It looks nice, but the info box in the bottom left corner of the screen takes up too much space and actually cuts into and overlaps the bottom banners.  Is there a way to fix this, by either turning it off or making it smaller?

Thanks guys!

1 - I'm going to need a picture to know what you're talking about but there are several different views you could select from...

2 - That means those items could not be found the last time the server did a library scan (media drives/server were asleep or offline).  It will clear up as soon as the media is available again and the server scans.

3 - Need a picture again, but, again, there are multiple views...

hansolo77

I'm actually giving the Square theme a go right now.  But I'll take some screenshots in Chocolate for you.

EDIT: Believe it or not, Chocolate is now locking up again as soon as I go into the TV Shows listings.  Oh well.

Edited by hansolo77

techywarrior

Not sure if this is the same "locking up" that you are talking about but since .262 I have noticed that when switching to the TV library tab for the first time in the session it now takes like 45-60 seconds before it responds but previous stable version seemed to only take 5 seconds or so. (using Square atm)

Ebr, did anything change in .262 that could be effecting that or is it coincidental?

What do you mean by "responds"?  You mean you cannot move anywhere or it is just taking that long to fill in the recent list?

techywarrior

Once I select the TV tab nothing appears to happen or change for 45-60 seconds. Pressing a key/button will prompt WMC to display the "application is not responding" dialog. Just waiting it out however allows whatever is happening in the background to complete and MBC/WMC becomes responsive again and the TV tab loads. I am not using legacy viewing. This is with the new style.

One thing I remembered is that around the same time as the update to .262 I added the complete Daria series to my TV library. That was something like 100 episodes. I wonder if maybe the call to recent or latest added is taking a long time...

hansolo77

This is what I'm experiencing too.  As soon as I enter any item off the EHS (Tv Shows, Movies, or Channels), it begins to render out the next list screen, then stops.  Navigation doesn't work, nothing is highlighted, and when enough time passes I'll get a "application invalid" or "application not responding".  I can chose from that either WAIT or CLOSE and if I wait nothing happens.  It is then that I have to force close the ehshell task from the Windows Task Manager.  As long as I stay in the EHS, I can go up to the cog and change the theme to something else, then everything works fine.  I've only ever experienced this in the Chocolate theme, so that's why I don't use it.

techywarrior

Probably not exactly the same reason then since mine does respond after some time. Have you tried just waiting a really long time for it to load? (at least then it would be a slow load of data versus some sort of infinite loop)

techywarrior

At least temporarily so you can watch stuff in those libraries. Hopefully Ebr can figure out what may be causing it.

hansolo77

Yeah waiting didn't work.  If I use my mouse, I can click the BACK button (big blue arrow in the top left corner).  It makes the sound but doesn't do anything.  It's just "stuck".

I need logs from both of you when this happens.

It isn't the recent lists as those are built in the background.

It is probably also worth trying the current dev version of EMC.  Maybe it was fixed coincidentally with something else.

Scott84Z28

May be a silly question, but what aspect ration is your monitor?  I had two systems still using old 4:3 monitors (one laptop and one desktop), and they would always lock up if I used any theme except Neo.  I changed the desktop to a regular widescreen monitor and now Chocolate works fine on that system.   I have to continue using Neo though on the laptop.  Just putting that out there.

hansolo77

I will get logs for you when I get home from work.  I'm using a widescreen TV.  Also, I don't think it would have been randomly fixed with the DEV versions since I've had this problem pretty much since the theme was made available and classified as the new default.

I will get logs for you when I get home from work.  I'm using a widescreen TV.  Also, I don't think it would have been randomly fixed with the DEV versions since I've had this problem pretty much since the theme was made available and classified as the new default.

A LOT of changes are in the current dev version and many of them dealing with stability issues.  It is the version I will be working with so we really need to confirm that it is still a problem on it.

techywarrior

lol, I went to load a clean log file to post the problem and now every time I load WMC and switch to the other libraries it is happening instantly again. Perhaps it was simply the reaching of images that created the delay. The reason I thought it was a real problem though was that it happened on two or three launches of WMC. Not just a single time.