Library questions

wally007

wally007

I've been testing emby server for few hours and coming from Plex Server - emby is definitely different. I'm not sure if that's good or bad - but it seems library functionality is very Kodi-like limited.

1, In Plex I'm able to have 4 different Movies section ( on home screen) and decide on each Movie section what scanner and metadata downloader will be used.

In emby - all 4 Movies section are mixed together - and all HAVE to use the same metadata logic. Is this really the only way ?

Same with TV. I have 4 TV sections (foreign TV shows, Sport events and old shows from VHS days)  In emby these are all lumped into one huge mess.

2, Plex creates album cover for photo albums from images within the folder. emby does the same, but images are not respecting orientation (at least iPhone orientation.) Also images are aspect ratio distorted - making everything looking really ugly.

3, Home Movies section does not take Release Date from date created. In Plex I can browser my movies based on when video camera made a movie regardless of the media name.  I see that i can globally change how 'Recently added' behaves - but that's it. 

4, Does any scanner/metadata provider even read mp4 tags ? 

There are other reliability issue where native Canon 60D 1080i dont play at all, some items dont have screengrab etc but there's no point in troubleshooting if library is designed to lump everything into sections.

I'm hoping I've missed something obvious, otherwise what's the point in naming the "media folder" when adding a library section since it's never shown or used in any way while browsing.

Edited by wally007

CBers

You probably have your libraries set to be grouped into a view in the Dashboard (user preferences).

You only have the option of which metadata source to use per type of content.

Why do you need different sources for different types of movie etc? Just asking.

Edited by CBers

Angelblue05

If you don't want them to display in the same group, you can change the option under your preferences when you are in the webclient.

5521115bbf804_Views.jpg

wally007

Thanks for the tip. Finally its not grouped together.

You probably have your libraries set to be grouped into a view in the Dashboard (user preferences).

You only have the option of which metadata source to use per type of content.

Why do you need different sources for different types of movie etc? Just asking.

wally007

I use Plex as media CENTER, therefore i have all of my media in Plex. That includes random clips from youtube, screenrecordings, (new) movies, foreign movies, comic animations, my After effects animations etc ...... I do not set up these into the same Library Section and do not want them to be using the same scanner or agent.

Some sections are scannable via IMBD, some sections should not be matched at all ( just show filename), some sections have mp4 metadata etc...

In Plex and in emby I put these into separate library sections ( called media folders in emby ) such as Movies, Videos, Effects, You tube....

Difference is that in Plex , i can decide that 'Movies' section will be using IMDB/theMovieDB etc metadata, 'Videos' items will be only shown as filenames, 'After Effect' will have mp4 metadata read only via mp4 metadata plugin, 'You tube' will be shown as filenames etc ....

These are all Movies.

Its same for TV Shows. I've got some TV show sections use theTVDB metadata, others will have mp4 metada read and will not use online sources ( exported from iTunes/eyeTV/MCE ), others will use just filenames etc... 

You can do that with us too at least for the movies.  Just set the content type of those media folders appropriately when you set them up:

Movies - will fetch with the providers you have defined for movies

HomeVideos - use this for your YouTube and other stuff you don't want to use fetchers for

wally007

And what type to have mp4 data read ?

Is this type of control planned ? -> where each media folder can have its own metadata setting  

This is why i migrated away from XBMC/Kodi years ago, i dont see going back to that (similar) kind of Library system again. 

Thanks

Edited by wally007

all video types will read embedded metadata but if internet metadata is used it will overwrite. so if you want to rely solely on embedded info, use home videos.

• 3 weeks later...

all video types will read embedded metadata but if internet metadata is used it will overwrite. so if you want to rely solely on embedded info, use home videos.

Luke, If I understand what you are saying, it sounds like there are differences in the ways that various content types treat meta data. By any chance is there a table someplace that lists the differences between the various content types?

Part of my reason for asking is that I wonder what kind of content type to use for short YouTube-type videos. They are not [featurefilms-]movies or home videos or music videos. They would have no downloaded metadata and if I created my own xml/nfo file of metadata I would not want it overwritten. I assume I cannot (yet!) create my own content type, so what content type should I use for such videos?

And a related question: I have a folder of trailers (for movies not in my collection). Would "Trailers" make a good (future) content type? Or should I be relying on genres or styles (I haven't quite figured out what styles are yet) or some other sort of grouping/categorization?

All in all, it seems we (new users) need more info about categorizing our content. Any suggestions? Is the info here somewhere and I've missed it?

(And thanks for all the great work you have done here.)