MB Client Slow load /Not responding

Gothic99
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Gothic99

Hi, Seems ever since the latest update I have been having a few issues. Upon launch MBC can take up to 30 seconds or longer to get to user profile login page. Once there its about the same to get to the display menu.

Once in the display menu it can take 30 seconds or after selecting a folder (TV for example) to progress and load thumbs. Thumbs seem to load slow. Every now and then (perhaps every 6 launches or so) When i select a folder (like tv or movies) i get a browser error (not windows) saying media browser has stopped responding and when i select 'close' it takes me back to the WMC menu.

I have checked my firewall to make sure the correct ports are open and UDP is allowed/on.

I would like to know how this can be resolved. Let me know if i need to post anything.

Im running version: 3.0.5572.0

Im running Win7 on a HP N54L microserver, 16gb Ram, ATI 5450 vid card, ASUS Xonar DGX soundcard, ssd as primary drive and 4x WD red for storage. Both client and server are installed on this machine to act as a standalone HTPC. No other units are connected or synced. And the only other software i am running is an FTP program, antivirus (avast) and Firefox.

Thanks in advance. This program is the greatest and I cannot wait to have it working how it should again. :)

Edited by Gothic99

Gothic99

im going to reboot and restart.. then post a clean log below without having played a file. I rebooted and as soon as i tried to access the TV folder it crashed. here is the log.

5520839205e80_Capture.jpg

Sooo sorry.. i uploaded an older log.. here is the right one

MBClassic-54201567a14596473f4ba09eb216dbd97b4340.log

Edited by Gothic99

Gothic99

After more testing and rebooting the system it seems the TV folder is the main culprit for some reason. Im not sure why :(

• Solution

Are you absolutely sure that's the right log?  The entire span of the log only covers 30 seconds.

Investigate all the hardware involved.  Each instance of this type of thing happening so far has been traced to some sort of hardware issue.  Make sure you don't have a failing drive or something that is asleep.

• Like 1

Gothic99

Thanks for the advice. I will keep monitoring things and post up here how it goes. As far as the log file went. Thats the log from the boot and crash i had. I will now work on my hdds and other hardware to see if thats the issue. I was just confused by the timing of all of this, as my setup had run well until this last update.

It is certainly possible it is something else.  I just can't see any evidence of it in the logs and the few times this has happened in the past, it has been a bad hard drive.

I'm answering here instead of creating a new topic for this.

I had many instabilities lately on Emby for WMC, some looking like yours (indeed hanging for a minute or so, mostly when I entered a series with a lot of seasons for ex), some crashes (no Close program / Cancel, just a "OK" to get back to WMC). And very often, when coming back to series, some images were misplaced (had for example a thumb instead of the poster for a season of the series I entered just before the crash.

On server traces, noticed a lot of:

Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

I found some people saying that this could be linked to firewall issues.

I finally solved my problem by uninstalling Avast. I replaced it with Microsoft Security Essential, deleted all the Emby cache on my client machine, reinstalled Emby - now refresh is lightning fast. I have no hangs and no crash anymore.

I'm not entirely sure this is related to that. But in my case, solved everything...

So try and replace Avast with MSE, clear the cache and start over. Let us know if it's working better for you.

Edited by xliv

Gothic99

Cheers for all your help.. I found the solution to my issue. EBR's comment that the issue was most likely hardware related had my heart sinking. So one more time i rebooted the machine. This time on launch the media browser (emby) client crashed with a new error.. I didnt screenshot it .. but it was along the lines of Network socket error, you cannot have more than one network connection. With this i took a deep breath, unplugged the N54L machine from the network and turned off the EOP adapters it was connected to..  In the meantime i cleaned the n54l with an air compressor (a task i usually do bi-monthly). When i connected it all and powered on the EOP. The unit has since run flawlessly.. Very quick and responsive.

So it appears that the EOP (ethernet over power) adapters that i had connected to my router for the machine had developed a bottle neck that eventually choked the Emby program. I did a quick check the the EOP hadnt been reset for 6 months or more..  So a big thank you to all that listened and to ebr that thought 'outside the square' and allowed me to (timidly i may add) explore faulty/corrupted hardware.

• Like 1