ver 3.2 Player Enhancements

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi All,

With all the great stuff @@7illusions has put in the new release, Playback should get a few more details for those interested.

Bottom Line playback is better, streaming is more efficient, the need to transcode is reduced and server resources are used more efficiently. If that is all you need to know or don't care to dive into the details. Stop Reading Now !!  Just sit back and enjoy :) it is all good stuff !!

The nitty gritty....

Direct (Direct Stream to be precise)

Audio

Format            Video                                   Audio

MP3                                                            Mp3

m4a                                                            AAC

wma**                                                         wmav2,wmapro,wmavoice**

Video

mp4,mov        h264,mpeg4                        aac,ac3,eac3,mp3,pcm

asf                  wmv2,wmv3,vc1                  wmav2,wmapro,wmavoice

AVI                 mpeg4,msmpeg4,mjpeg     mp3,ac3,eac3,mp2,pcm

Channels (audio/video)  New and Improved

If the characteristics of the content can be identified by the app and it falls into the above types it will play direct. Check out trailers and Podcasts. As refinements are made expect more to come (read LiveTV)

Direct via Copy (7 likes Direct with a little help from ffmpeg, personally I go with 'Change my container please")

New and Improved MKV support (Stream copy for you ffmpeg gurus)

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (copy)

Format              Video                                 Audio

mkv                   h264                                  aac,ac3,eac3,pcm

Transcoding\Hybrid              Video Stream Copy       Audio Transcode

Stream #0:0 -> #0:0 (copy)
  Stream #0:1 -> #0:1 (dts (dca) -> ac3 (native))

Format              Video                                 Audio

mkv                   h264                                  Audio other than aac,ac3,eac3,pcm

As noted DTS is absent from the supported audio formats. DTS is unfortunately not supported natively in Windows 8.1. A solution is still being investigated but is not available at this time. Stay Tuned

In the interim the player will use a stream copy of video and a default audio conversion of your choice. See separate post on Streaming Profile.  

The overhead on a ffmpeg copy is really negligible.

Transcoding

Everything not highlighted above.

Keep in mind that Media Foundation is the constraining factor for all of the above. As MS adds capabilities (read Win 10) the playback will continue to get better and better.

Disclaimer Any errors or omissions or over simplification are purely my fault.

** Currently requires tweaks to Streaming Profile. (See post below) 

-Vicpa

Edited by Vicpa
  • Like 2

FrostByte

Thanks Vicpa.  The app has definitely gotten a lot better since I first purchased.  Unfortunately it still transcodes all my wma files into 128bit mp3 files before playing.  Sort of a killer for me.  Would think it could support wma

Vicpa

Hi @@FrostByte

Yikes we can't have that now can we.

No promises don't have (didn't :) ) wma in my collection. aac,mp3 mostly. Just ripped some base wma.

Ready to go! This may work the magic for you. Seems to work for me but don't have all the codec variations

If you are comfortable in editing an xml file goto (replace xxx with correct user name.

\Users\xxxxx \AppData\Local\Packages\436337Illusions.com.MediaBrowser_77hd5e1v1hqs4\LocalState

There you will find StreamingProfile.xml

Add the following line under <DirectPlayProfiles>

<DirectPlayProfile container="wma" audioCodec="wmav2,wmapro,wmavoice" videoCodec="" type="Audio" />

Let folks know how it sounds I am sure @  will add it as a default.

-Vicpa

while enjoying David Bromberg in Direct Stream wma !!

• Like 2

FrostByte

Another questions, is there a way to random play from a playlist?  My playlists are finally working with the latest release, but not seeing a random or repeat button

Vicpa

Hi,

Random or shuffle has not made it to playlists yet, sounds like a good enhancement.

You can shuffle or random from genre currently. Click on the ellipse button (...) lower right .

• Like 1