Cannont connect to server from other devices.

Cruise

Cruise

This should be a pretty simple issue to fix. I just had to do a full reinstall of windows on my server computer and since doing so I am unable to access the server from any other device. I am assuming that windows is blocking the server communicating over the network. It does however work via DLNA. 

Attached are the past two hours of server logs where I have tried to connect several times. 

server-63563653713.txt

server-63563658017.txt

Have you updated to the latest server release?

Also you haven't told us what app you are using to try and connect with.  Try with the web client just to test the connection capability.

Cruise

Have you updated to the latest server release?

Also you haven't told us what app you are using to try and connect with.  Try with the web client just to test the connection capability.

Currently running version 3.0.5572.0

It was originally every single client. Now I can access the server via the web client, but on android it detects the server but cannot connect to it and from the web client I can connect to the chromecast, however I get not backgrounds (only the logo) and when I hit the play button nothing happens.

server-63564119670.txt

Edited by Cruise

Cruise

The part that is frustrating me is that it sometimes I am able to connect. I don't change anything (at least I don't think I am changing anything),

• 4 weeks later...
Cruise

Ok this is still happening. I still have no idea what is causing it as it just seems to happen and fix itself. 

Issues occur with:

• DLNA
  • Web Client
  • Chromecast
  • Android client
  • Theatre 

DLNA just plain doesn't show up. The android, theatre and web clients don't connect. When connected to chromecast through the server computer with the web client, the server logo appears on the chromecast but no backgrounds, then when play is pressed nothing happens on either the chromecast or the web client. 

Edited by Cruise

The Governor

Also got this problem from my NOW TV box, has been working fine then this week stopped working.

When I try removing and reading the server on the Now TV box, it find my server but says it can't connect because it isn't running...

Sounds like some networking or firewall issue. The apps perform some very simple tests to access the server, and it appears for whatever reason they just can't get through.

Cruise

Sounds like some networking or firewall issue. The apps perform some very simple tests to access the server, and it appears for whatever reason they just can't get through.

Thats what I would have though, but no matter what I do with the firewall it just doesn't change anything. I have found one way to fix it which is to constantly restart the server until it works. No other changes made just restarting a few times, sometimes it just needs it once but sometimes it can get over 8 restarts in a row trying to get it to work. 

In that case it most likely is firewall (sorry to say) - we have an automatic port mapping feature that attempts to map a router port to a local port. But this kind of technique is never as reliable as manually creating the rule with your firewall. If I had to guess, it is working the mapping succeeds. Then maybe at some point later the map is reset by the router, which does happen with some routers, and then it stops working. The server attempts to handle this, but again, it's not as reliable as setting up the rule yourself. So my guess is you need a port forwarding rule in your router's firewall.

Cruise

In that case it most likely is firewall (sorry to say) - we have an automatic port mapping feature that attempts to map a router port to a local port. But this kind of technique is never as reliable as manually creating the rule with your firewall. If I had to guess, it is working the mapping succeeds. Then maybe at some point later the map is reset by the router, which does happen with some routers, and then it stops working. The server attempts to handle this, but again, it's not as reliable as setting up the rule yourself. So my guess is you need a port forwarding rule in your router's firewall.

Ah bugger. Ok I will check out the firewall settings on my router. Didn't really think of them, since I didn't make any changes to them when I re-installed the server. Thanks. 

madasahat

This issue is with me also, cant connect any device to server only thing changed was an update to the server and now :(

This issue is with me also, cant connect any device to server only thing changed was an update to the server and now :(

Do the same thing.  Create an explicit rule in your router.