Help Emby Sync Evolve

Luke

hoxtonia

And also the ability to set default sync quality settings and sync storage location by device - perhaps add a device default Tab

Where all devices listed from the server devices page can have default sync settings entered

so for my youngest daughters nexus 7 (2012) the default setting could be quality:  baseline - low and storage location: on device.

for surface pro could be general-high on device etc etc

Could be set to make device setting as always default or set to ask each time a sync job is added - as sickbeard does if you add a new show....

Cheesegeezer

I thought that sync would allow you to view offline content thru the local client, however it just syncs to a folder created by the sync feature on the device.

For example I have an android phone with emby app.  i open emby when in flight mode expecting to see my synced content however couldn't load the app.  I had to find the content on the local storage(NOT sd card storage) and use a different app to watch it.  Which if you ask me is worse than me sticking the USB in and manually moving the item across to the external storage device.

So what I would like to see is......

1. Syncing checks for extended storage i.e. storage card and syncs to that, if no SD storage is found then sync falls back to local storage.

2. All mobile clients to work in local mode, this way we can view all the pretty information in the app even tho not connected to a server. This would obviously mean copying over the complete move folder contents including images, trailers, themevideos/music, backdrops and info.xml file.

• Like 3

I thought that sync would allow you to view offline content thru the local client, however it just syncs to a folder created by the sync feature on the device.

For example I have an android phone with emby app.  i open emby when in flight mode expecting to see my synced content however couldn't load the app.  I had to find the content on the local storage(NOT sd card storage) and use a different app to watch it.  Which if you ask me is worse than me sticking the USB in and manually moving the item across to the external storage device.

So what I would like to see is......

1. Syncing checks for extended storage i.e. storage card and syncs to that, if no SD storage is found then sync falls back to local storage.

2. All mobile clients to work in local mode, this way we can view all the pretty information in the app even tho not connected to a server. This would obviously mean copying over the complete move folder contents including images, trailers, themevideos/music, backdrops and info.xml file.

That is just because offline operation hasn't been implemented yet in the Android mobile app.  It is being worked on.

I noticed that I can't specify quality when I try to sync my FLAC music files. My phone has limited storage, and I don't want to store all my music on it in FLAC. If there was a quality or bitrate option, so that I could perhaps have them synced as 256kbps MP3s, that would be awesome.

Cheesegeezer

That is just because offline operation hasn't been implemented yet in the Android mobile app.  It is being worked on.

Good to hear.  Are you also looking into which available storage to sync to.

ice pube

Good to hear.  Are you also looking into which available storage to sync to.

This is already implemented under settings > app settings > synced contact path :)

Cheesegeezer

This is already implemented under settings > app settings > synced contact path :)

OK cool, that's on the server I take it pube?

hoxtonia

Cheesegeezer - its in the mobile app settings not on the server

although there is indeed the option to add a synced contact path - tapping on the field brings up no keyboard so cannot directly add path - the search allows you to browse for a folder - you can create a folder - currently has to be called NewFolder but only on the internal storage... no permission to write to the sd card

not sure we will can write to sd card without root although with a 128 card in my note 4 i would love that.....

I hope Luke has some cleverness for this.... 

and actually that cleverness will be write permissions for internal and external storage...its a tricky call - a growing list of features means a growing list of permissions - almost unfettered  access to all device storage will be a step too far for some users I guess.

Personally I want emby to write to sd card and am happy to give it permission to do so

Edited by hoxtonia

• 5 weeks later...
Tyberious Funk

I'm new to Emby, so let me apologise in advance if I'm raising things that have either (a) been raised before, or (B) are existing features that I'm not aware about.

Let me start by saying that I think really flexible syncing is THE killer feature in a product like Emby.  It's certainly the feature that got me to pay for a subscription, and if it doesn't develop in a direction that is useful to me, it will be the reason for me to cancel my subscription.  I've also been really frustrated with some other pieces of software where the devs have had a really specific view on how syncing should work, and don't really like to entertain alternative use-cases (I'll explain in a moment).

1.  I really want/need to be able to sync to OSX.  There seems to be this attitude that "mobile device" automatically means tablet or phone.  But in reality, lots and lots of people still use laptops, and want to be able to view content while travelling.  Emby has a Windows 8 client, which takes care of microsoft users, and a iOS client, but no OSX client.

2. Ideally, syncing should be available in other applications, like Kodi.  I know from the Kodi/OpenELEC forums, that a really common issue people have, is trying to play content over an unreliable wireless connection.  The usual response is "stop using wireless, and just cable your house".  Not only is this impractical for a lot of people, it ignores really common use-cases.  If I'm sitting in bed, or lounging on the couch, watching TV on my laptop, I don't want to be tethered to an ethernet cable.  Even if I am using a cable, ideally I should be able to pause a show and (assuming it was a synced show), be able to continue watching it while I'm out on the road.

Just some random thoughts.

BarryAmerika

I am also new to Emby, and have just had a play with sync.

My usage of this feature will be mostly for out of home viewing. Typically, I will sync content to a device, watch it during a daily commute and then have watch status and next episodes sync to the server via wifi on return home.

Two initial things I have found very much to my liking I would like to mention, and keep.

1) Direct copy. No transcoding, just putting the files on my device without forcing a low powered file server to attempt a re encode when there is absolutely no need for it.

2) The synced files are then easily accessible on my device, not hidden away, invisible or renamed to something meaningless. For me this means I can watch a file with another player like MX or VLC if the client wont work for some reason. For me personally I often have no internet access when I'm in a position to watch media. Two hours on a train or plane not able to watch files I have placed there for just this purpose can be incredibly frustrating when you know they are there and perhaps have even paid to use this service. Acknowledging and allowing media access through other means is very much appreciated in this case.

• 4 months later...

I'd like to see something that indicates that a specific movie or episode have been synced already and even showing the different versions of the file.

At the moment there is no way to know unless you check the file created at directory level. Maybe this is already there :).

Thanks.

Very good idea yes. Currently you have to see it in the dedicated sync section but this can definitely be improved.

But - apps that sync locally do have indicators for synced content.

Vidman

What about showing a "synced" section in the app that shows only locally synced content for quick and easy viewing/finding such content within the app

Or rather actually being able to play/access synced content from the current sync menu item which currently you can only view sync options and progress - referring to the android mobile app here

Edited by Vidman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed that I can't specify quality when I try to sync my FLAC music files. My phone has limited storage, and I don't want to store all my music on it in FLAC. If there was a quality or bitrate option, so that I could perhaps have them synced as 256kbps MP3s, that would be awesome.

+1 for this, I'm considering a lifetime supporter as I want to use emby primarily for music sync to my phone. I will only occasionally use it for video sync. If there's no conversion of flac for mobile its not going to work for me and I'll go back to Google play music.

Would also miss from Google play music a section for sync'ed content, as mentioned above. An indicator of how much space sync'ed content is using as well.

Aside from this Box.com cloud storage would be nice as I have a free 50gb account :)

• Like 1

I primarily use Folder Sync to an external drive which I then take with me when traveling. I tend to Sync in bunches (10-20 movies at a times). It's annoying to have to go in and manually cancel that many syncs at once. How about a cancel all syncs button or the ability to multi-select more than one sync to cancel at a time?

• Like 1

breezytm

I would like a library be created automatically for sync'ed items. That way I can share those libraries with guests so they can stream straight from the clouds instead of my house. 

• Like 2

NomadCF

Features I  think would be helpful.

1. ability to run multiple sync queues at once.
  2. per sync CPU limits. aka sync "queue1" can use 3 CPUs, but sync queue2 can only use 1.
  3. ability to alternate between active queues after each items is done (aka sync does 1 item from queue1 then switches over and does 1 item from  queues, rinse and repeat).
  4. embed or hardcode in subtitles (optional, forced only ?)

The ability for emby to understand multiple versions of the same video and sending or using the correct version. This way a "sync folder" can be integrated back in to the library.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
darrenkdean

Evening all, setup & tested the Emby / Google Drive sync feature today.  Comes in handy for those that want to stream & have cable internet connectivity issues during peak usage times.

The only anomaly noticed was that after transcoding, the upload to Google Drive did not obey the bandwidth limit.  Bandwidth limit was set to 1 Mbps & instead it utilized the entire 4.5 Mbps pipe.  Any one else experience this?  Is there a modification I can make to make it work as expected?

Best-

Darren

Evening all, setup & tested the Emby / Google Drive sync feature today.  Comes in handy for those that want to stream & have cable internet connectivity issues during peak usage times.

The only anomaly noticed was that after transcoding, the upload to Google Drive did not obey the bandwidth limit.  Bandwidth limit was set to 1 Mbps & instead it utilized the entire 4.5 Mbps pipe.  Any one else experience this?  Is there a modification I can make to make it work as expected?

Best-

Darren

Hi @@darrenkdean,

Can you go back to the page and make sure your 1 is still there? Thanks.

I ran some tests and it worked fine, but please note, the throttle is achieved by measuing transfer and then pausing, so it will have periods where it exceeds the limit, then cools down, then starts back up, etc. It's a throttle based on average speed, not max speed, if that makes sense.

BarryAmerika

Is an offline mode still in the works?

All my sync usage is for offline viewing on android, I'd love to be able to do this direct from the app so watched status and progress is synced automatically when I can next connect with the server.

• Like 1

darrenkdean

Hi @@Luke,

Thanks for your email.  Yes, I looked at the server & confirmed that the 1 Mbps limit is still there, 2 CPU Core Limit, & Enable full speed conversion is checked.  Understood on throttling, but I don't believe that is the case here as it consumed the entire uplink until the file had been completely uploaded.  Thoughts?

Best-

Darren